Chapter 4

As Karly steps into the room, she feels the sensation of falling off the top of the building. In front of her is a sunken living room with massive windows revealing the sparkling lights of the city below. She is speechless.

Tom is quite at home. He walks past her down the steps into the living room. The living room is filled with museum quality art deco furniture, all rose and grey and lavender. On one of the walls is a relief of stylized Egyptian figures. Tom picks up the phone. 

"Room service, I'd like a bottle of the house champagne and a bowl of chilled strawberries sent to my room. Thank you." Tom ordered over the phone.

Karly still stands motionless by the front door. Tom looks up at her, a trademark half smile drifting to his face. 

"Nice view," Tom says pointing out towards the balcony. Karly doesn't say anything. She makes her way down the steps to the living room, her legs a little weak.

"I see I've impressed you?" Tom smirks. Karly looks towards him, her awe giving way to a cynical sneer.

"No. I come here all the time. As a matter of fact, they do rent this room by the hour." 

Tom laughs at her comment and sits down on one of the comfortable chairs. Karly paces through the room, still hypnotized by the view.

"I don't get it. What's a guy like you picking up a girl like me?"

"As I recall, you were the one that picked me up." He said loosening his tie.

"Well, you didn't put up much of a fight."

"It started to seem like a good idea."

"Well then, what were you doing cruising Hollywood Blvd?" Karly makes her way towards tom.

"Cruising? Hmmm. Well, I don't get to drive a lot in London, so I thought it would be interesting to tool around and admire some of the local architecture. I was sightseeing the Chinese Theater when I got lost and ran into you..."

A chime goes off to indicate there's someone at the front door. 

"That should be the champagne." He starts to get up but Karly pushes him back down on the chair to stay put.

"Sit! I'll get it." Tom sits back and Karly waltzes up to open the front door. A waiter comes into the room with a silver cart; on it is a bottle of champagne in ice and a covered bowl.

"Where would you like it?" The waiter asks.

"Down there, I guess." Karly points into the living room.

The waiter carries it down the steps and sets it in the middle of the living room. He heads back up the stairs and pauses near Karly. Karly stares back at him.

"What are you looking at?" Karly asks annoyed.

The waiter glances away uncomfortably and exits. Karly closes the door behind him and marches back down the stairs.

"I think he wanted you to tip him," Tom says humorously.

"For one bottle?" Karly looked confused.

"I'm afraid so." Tom stands up and crosses to the silver stand. He lifts the lid on the bowl to reveal a dozen enormous strawberries. He eats one and twirls the champagne bottle in the ice bucket then lifts it out gracefully. 

"So you're here all alone? Don't you have a girlfriend or a wife, or both?" Tom deftly pops the cork on the bottle without losing a drop of champagne and looks at her.

"Both. This is the house brand. Didn't think you'd mind."

"It all tastes the same to me. So where's your girlfriend and wife? Sleeping together?" Tom pours the champagne into a single long-stemmed glass and hands it to Karly. 

"More questions. My wife divorced me years ago and is in France I believe, spending my money. My girlfriend is in London... spending my money. Cheers." Tom drops the champagne bottle back in the bucket. Karly holds the glass, awkwardly. 

"Aren't you going to have any?" Karly asks Tom.

"Oh, I don't drink."

"You know, you don't have to get me drunk, honey." Karly takes a sip from the glass as Tom smirks.

"No, I suppose I don't. How do you like it?"

"Not much. I don't really drink."

"Try a strawberry. It'll bring out the sweetness of the champagne." Karly eats a strawberry and then washes it down with the champagne.

"Better?" Tom asks.

"It's okay." Karly sits down in front of him. "Why didn't your girlfriend come with you?"

Toms face sours. "I don't know. Just being difficult."

Karly takes another sip and smiles wickedly as she sensed she touched a nerve.

"Now I get it. You had a fight with her and you end up stuck here all alone. Suddenly a pro sounds like a good idea."

"You put it very well. I'm a professional man and I'd like to find a professional woman. Any more questions?" Karly downs the last of her champagne.

"Yeah, so where are we going to screw."

"How about the bedroom."