𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 5.

They got to the roof. The sun was slowly coming up, painting the sky with beautiful colors.

"We gotta find a way across. There she is. Our building." Tess declared and meanwhile Joel had found a ladder.

He placed it on the edges so they could get on the other building. He made sure it was stable before looking at them, "Alright, now watch your step as you're goin' up cause it's gonna be a little-" he didn't even get to finish his sentence as he saw Makayla roll her eyes at him and step on the ladder. He scoffed, raising an eyebrow in response.

Makayla stopped only to look at the view properly. She was a sucker for pretty views so she had to take her time to look at it.

Joel noticed her gaze, not saying anything and after a few seconds as Tess got through the ladder she started to move and continue to walk

Tess followed her and noticed Joel stayed in place, "Hey! Pick it up! We're almost done, stay focused."

"Yes ma'am." He gave her a sour look.
...

They finally got to the building.

Joel was the first to open the door and walk in but just as he did he released an angry sigh. There were dead bodies laying on the ground. The Fireflies.

"Oh,no no no." Tess mumbled and fell down next to them, trying to see if they're still alive but it was useless.

"What are you doing Tess?" Joel stepped closer angrily.

"Maybe- maybe they had a map or something to tell us where they were going." She was talking so fast they could barely understand her.

Makayla leaned against the wall, pinching the bridge of her nose in disbelief. What now?

"How far are we gonna take this?!" Joel seemed to be ready to leave this all behind. Leave Makayla here to find her way back and leave with Tess.

"Where was this lab of theirs?!" She looked up at Makayla, still going through the pockets of those Fireflies.

"She only mentioned it was some place out west."

Joel stepped closer to Tess, "What are we doing here? This is not us.."

Tess stood up abruptly, "Guess what we're shitty people Joel it's been like that for a long time."

"No we are survivors!" He shouted.

"This is our chance!"

"It is over Tess!" He shouted even louder this time, catching Makayla's attention.

"Let's just go home." He demanded but Tess's next words confused him.

"I'm not going anywhere. This is my last stop." Her voice broke.

"What?"

"Our luck had to run out sooner or later." She turned around, not being able to look into his eyes.

"What are you going on about-" he grabbed her shoulder but she slapped his hand off. "Don't!"

"Oh fuck." Makayla mumbled making Joel look at her.

"She's infected." She spoke and Joel's body stiffened. He stepped away from Tess.

"Joel.." She spoke with a soft voice.

"Let me see." He pointed at her.

"I didn't mean for thi-"

"Show it to me." His voice was hard again.

Tess blinked away her tears as she tugged at her shirt, revealing the bite on her shoulder.

"Oh Christ." Was all he managed to say.

"Oops, right?" She said before looking at Makayla, "Give me your arm." She grabbed her arm and showed it to Joel. "This is three weeks! I was bitten an hour ago and it's already worse, this is fucking real Joel!"

She stepped in front of him, "You've got to take this girl to Tommy's, he'll know where to go."

"No,no no. That was your crusade. I am not doin' that!" He pointed at Makayla. She was convinced by now she's gonna continue the journey herself. And she didn't mind. She'll get there. She has to.

"Yes you are! Look, there's enough here that you have to feel some sort of obligation to me. So you get her to Tommy's." They were standing so close. Both having hurt written all over their faces. Two lovers saying goodbye..

They heard a car pull up outside of the building, catching their attention.

"I can buy you some time but you have to run." Tess stated,

"There is no way that-" Joel started but Tess cut him off, "C'mon, make this easy for me." Her voice broke again as she whispered, looking up at him.

" Her voice broke again as she whispered, looking up at him

He sighed, "I can fight-"

"No! No! Just go!" Tess pushed into him.

They stayed looking at each other for a few seconds. Joel's eyebrows furrowed and forehead creased.

"Makayla- get a move on." He commanded as she looked at him with a surpised face.

He looked at her again, waiting for her to go as she just gave Tess one last look before leaving. Joel stubbornly followed her out and they closed the door behind them, finding themselves in a large room with stairs.

"This wasn't supposed to happen." Makayla mumbled.

"Stop." Joel groaned.

"No I-"

"Stop." He demanded now louder, not wanting to hear anything about what just happened.

He went for the stairs, going up and she followed him. They could already hear the gunshots. They appeared in a hallway with a balcony and one door. The view from the balcony send shivers down their spine. It was Tess laying in a splash of blood.

Makayla noticed Joel shut his eyes tightly while frowning as he looked away and they continued making their way down the hallway and through the door.

"They're gonna be here soon." Makayla whispered not getting any response from Joel as he gathered as many supplies as he could.

They could already hear the soldiers upstairs.

Joel noticed a hole in the wall that led to another side of the building as they jumped through.