One of Us -Part 2- (Bad Batch)

A/N: I can't believe it's already been a month since I joined! Thanks for all the reads, votes, and comments. I really appreciate the support.

This one centers more around the Bad Batch as a whole. No warnings for this particular part. Do you guys like these longer chapters? I love writing them but I hope they aren't too annoying to get through.

Stars shone gently in the night sky as the Bad Batch moved through the mountains. You kept a close eye on Crosshair and Wrecker. They were the only two to sustain any injuries from that creature's attack. Wrecker's wounds in particular were deep. You were able to stop the bleeding and the group rested up a little longer before pushing on, but you wanted to make sure they didn't reopen their wounds. So far, they looked okay.

At last, you all emerged from the rocky terrain and found yourselves on the edge of a grassland. You took a moment to enjoy the crisp breeze as you looked out at the open plain. Something caught your attention and you strained your eyes. You could see distant spotlights and blinking towers.

"That's the communication tower." Hunter said, examining the grassland before turning to look at everyone. "From here on out, we won't be able to make any stops. This whole area is infested with probes and patrols." You swallowed nervously. Hunter looked ahead, his eyes scanning the grassland as he listened for any danger. Finally, he walked forward, motioning for everyone to follow him. You copied the others' movements as you crouched through the tall grass. The moon cast the land in a gentle silver light as a soft breeze rushed over the group. It was deceptively peaceful. Hunter reached a hand up, his fingers curled into a fist, and everyone ducked.

"Not a sound." He whispered. You lowered yourself as close to the ground as you could as a probe droid hovered a few meters away. It chattered, scouring the plains. You held your breath as it paused in front of you. It searched for a few more agonizing moments. Finally, it went on its way and Hunter continued, everyone falling in line behind him. Besides ducking from a couple droid patrols, the journey to the tower was going smoothly. You were almost there when Hunter ordered everyone to stop once again.

Another probe was approaching the group. You all lowered yourself to the ground again but as you did so, you shifted your foot on a pebble. It rolled and you stumbled with a gasp. It wasn't loud but the droid jerked toward all of you, chattering loudly. You all held your breath as it drifted toward the noise. Your heart drummed in your ears as it approached. The air crackled with tension. To your horror, its lens landed directly on you. It let out a loud chatter and began to fly toward the communication tower. Wrecker leaped into action, charging after it and jumping up. He grabbed it by the legs and yanked it to the ground. Hunter whipped out his knife and lunged toward it, driving the blade into its head. It chattered and sparked for a moment before going limp, the light in its lenses fading.

"Did it transmit our location?" Hunter asked. Tech rushed forward, pulling out his datapad. He opened a panel on the back of the droid and plugged into it. He pressed a few buttons as he extracted the data. You all watched tensely until he looked back at Hunter.

"There are no recent transmissions." He announced. Everyone relaxed and you let out a breath.

"What part about not being detected did you not understand?" Crosshair said and you shot him an apologetic look.

"It was an accident." You replied.

"Let's keep moving. You can save your arguing for when we get back to the ship." Hunter ordered before continuing toward the communication tower. You all fell back into line as the tower grew closer and closer. The Batch only stopped when they were about a hundred meters away. You looked at it nervously. Large spotlights arched over the grassland and droids stood guard at every door.