fourteen

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
the deeper the grief, the closer is god
                  —fyodor dostoeevsky.

▪︎▪︎▪︎

content warning: suicide.

-

soobin wasn't sure if his intriguing plan would work or not but he had to do this. someone like him who had nothing to lose as he got nothing from life apart from deceptions and heartbreaks, didn't even need to hesitate to pull the trigger.

although the night was soaked in black ink, the chaste moon shone brightly, permitting its silvery-white moonlight sprinkle the earth. because of its blessing, everything could be seen even in the darkness. the foggy air was filled with a sweltering moisture, under the slight breeze, soobin stared at the mysterious stars, remembering the last time he and yeonjun stargazed together.

"do you think the moon is more precious than the stars?"
"not really."
"why jun?!"
"i only find the sky pretty other than you because it reassures me that i'll be fine since we both live under the same sky."

he was waiting for yeonjun at their building's rooftop, standing on the edge. this was the last time he would be waiting for yeonjun- he thought whilst looking down to have a view of the road. seeing one or two people passing by the street with their frames as tiny as ants, he was well conscious that it would be falling to death from here.
but will you bother to show up just for me?

"soobin!"

it sounds so beautiful when you say my name.

soobin turned around to meet the pair of eyes he had been longing for, the reason why he despised himself more and more.

we are ending each other but at the end of the day, my eyes still yearn for you.

yeonjun was about to go closer to him but he immediately stopped the lad by shouting, "don't." he moved himself, now standing on the ledge, just a step away from death.

yeonjun rooted to the spot, looking at soobin in pure disbelief as he asked, clearly in distress, "why? why are you doing this? to me and yourself. just why?"

soobin couldn't care less about the tears forming on his eyes yet he suppressed them only to see yeonjun properly.

"you killed my dad-"

"first of all, he wasn't even good to you. second, i didn't." yeonjun exclaimed, purely disappointed in soobin.

"you won't admit it? of course, you don't feel guilty for the victims.  you received the call, gave my dad a particular address and he trusted you because you were my damn boyfriend." soobin yelled angrily and yeonjun only sighed.

"listen, calm down! stop being so pessimistic. if saying that makes you feel any better then okay!? i'll say what you want to hear." yeonjun took a deep breath, all he wanted was to keep soobin safe from the world and from him. why? he didn't know, it was just an unknown feeling that turned into a ruinous addiction.

soobin doubted the tone, almost getting fooled.
are you still pretending?

taking another deep breath, yeonjun said, "i'm the serial killer. i did it! happy? you don't know anything, so please, stop now."

i have been trying to make you love me, but everything i try just takes you further from me.

as soon as he let those words out, a gun was pointed at him and more figures appeared, exposing themselves as they didn't need to hide anymore.