𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 12.

...
40 minutes later

They were both quiet for the whole ride until Makayla spoke,

"Oh shit I almost forgot." She leaned into the back of the car, Joel looked at what she was doing but all he could see was her ass exposed right in front if his eyes. He respectfully turned his gaze back to the road.

"Here. This makes you all nostagic?" She purred showing him a cassette.

Joel grabbed it from her, "Y'know this is actually before my time. That is a winner though." He put it in as the music started playing.

"Well, better than nothing." Makayla muttered, going through her backpack again.

"I'm sure your friend will be missing this tonight." She took out a playboy magazine making Joel roll his eyes,

"Did you get that at Bill's?!"

"Yeah. Why not. Look these pages are all stuck together." She said and Joel awkwardly shut his eyes, "Get rid of that."

"Relax I'm just fucking with you." Makayla chuckled opening the window and throwing the magazine out.

She sat back and looked at Joel, "You know what? This isn't that bad." She turned the music on and leaned back into the seat.

"Seriously you should try to get some sleep."

"I'm not even tired." She stated, looking out the window.

" She stated, looking out the window

...
Pittsburgh

Joel looked to his side since she had been weirdly quiet for the past few minutes only to see her with her eyes closed, leaning with her head against the window,breathing steadily.

He looked at the road and cursed to himself, "Shit. No,no,no."

His voice woke Makayla up. There were cars in front of them, blocking the road they were supposed to go to.

"Well perfect." He stopped the car.

"Now what?" Makayla looked at him and Joel thought for a second, debating on what to do.

His eyebrows furrowed, "Screw it." And he turned right to go some other way.

They got to the city and Joel abruptly stepped on the brakes when he saw a guy in front of them, stumbling towards them, "Please, help..me."

"Put your seatbelt on." Joel commanded groaning.

"What about him?"

"He ain't even hurt." He stepped on the pedal, speeding up.

The guy suddenly took out a gun shooting at them and a few others stepped onto the road. Joel ran him over and stepped on the pedal even harder to get out of there when Makayla looked to the side seeing a bus rushing at them from the hill.

"Joel!"

"Hold on!" He shouted back as the bus hit them. Joel tried to control the wheel but they were spinning too fast, crushing into a shop.

The car was fucked.

They were both groaning in pain from the crush.

"Get out quick." Joel grunted and the door of the passenger seat suddenly flew open and two of the guys pulled her out. Joel tried to grab her but one of them opened his door, hitting Joel's head against the handrest as he pulled him out too. He dragged him to a glass show-window, hitting his head against it as Joel's head broke through the glass.

The guy eventually pushed against Joel's head, trying to push him onto a pointy shard of glass but Joel grabbed onto the window, pushing himself back.

"Joel!" Makayla shouted from behind while those two guys were holding her, one of them having a knife pressed to her throat.

But Joel was much stronger, managing to get out of the guy's grasp and grab him instead before he pushed him onto the glass. The glass broke through his throat and the guy fell to the ground, experiencing a slow painful death.

Makayla managed to kick one of them down taking the knife from the other guy as she sliced his throat but the other one pulled out a knife at her, cutting her cheek before he grabbed her neck.

Joel ran up to him, kicking him off of her and pulled him up by the back of his shirt, smashing his face against the counter to kill him.

Makayla stood up, coughing as Joel pulled her towards the car, "Catch your breath we're leaving!" He threw her backpack at her and took his

Makayla stood up, coughing as Joel pulled her towards the car, "Catch your breath we're leaving!" He threw her backpack at her and took his. They walked through some door, finding themselves in some building probably where those guys were staying.

"You ok?" He asked grabbing some things.

"Yeah." Makayla muttered looking around before she froze in motion,

"Look."

There were two beds with dead bodies and few of those were also on the ground.

"Fuckin' hunters. See, this could've been us. I knew I should've turn the damn truck around." Jole stepped closer.

"That's a lot of people that didn't make it." Makayla scanned the bodies.

"C'mon let's get out of here." Joel ordered and Makayla followed him. They were grabbing everything they needed in silence until they got to a staircase and Makayla spoke, "How did you know about the ambush?"

"I've been on both sides." Joel spoke, not looking at her.

"So, uh, you killed a lot of innocent people?" She wasn't wronged, just curious.

Joel just grunted, choosing not to really give her an answer.

"I'll take that as a yes." Makayla said.

"Take it however you want." Joel replied opening a random window. There was a truck right under it as they jumped on top of it and down on the ground.

The blood from Makayla's cheek was rushing down her face and neck as she wiped it off with her sleeve. She looked at the new bite after doing so. It was right over the old one so it wasn't too visible. Thank god.

"We gotta get to the street." Joel stated.

"These are unlocked." Makayla called out as she opened the back door, leading straight to the street.

Joel turned around to go after her.

There was a gate at the end of the street.

"Get down." Joel whisper yelled and they both hid behind a car.

More hunters.

"They're coming from up there, looks like a warehouse." Makayla pointed to a tall building looking at Joel.

"Yeah. Let's take them down."