Ch. 9 Dead Squad

Word count: 1.08k

Nat's POV:

I hear a scream, a shout, the faint and familiar cry of Wanda's voice. I leg it down the corridor, my heart skipping every beat its supposed to hit. I find myself in a chamber, remanence of purple and red shards floating daintily through the air, not a scene I was expecting to witness right after the one I left behind. I spot Wanda in the far corner, her arm busy blocking out the surroundings. I rush over, my gun safely back in its holster. But before I can make it all the way, a shard of glass is pressed up against my throat, the sharpness of it digging in to my skin, wedging itself deeper. Wanda turns, her normally kind and elegant blue eyes replaced with those of fearful fire. A gasp falls from her mouth as she recognises a friend. The shard of glass falls to the floor, shattering on impact. She mutters an apology then turns back to what ever was preoccupying her before.

I edge myself closer to the centre of her attention, only to find Eliza curled up in her lap. I try to speak, but no words come. I lick my lips, covering them in a thin layer of saliva, not realising how dry my mouth has suddenly become. "What- what happened?"

She shrugs, shaking her head. "I found Barton." Is all she says. I don't speak at all.

"Or he found me. He's not our Barton anymore. They got to him. Just like they got to Ellie."

I look at her, confusion writing in my eyes and in the soft pout of my lips.

"I watched as he fled, then I head an explosion and a shout. Before I got here, a bright purple light shrouded the entrance. There's only one thing with a purple like that. Hydra have the Power Stone, Nat. That's what exploded, and now its dragged her down with it."

"We need to go." I give myself no time to process what just happened, or what Wanda just allowed herself to tell me. I shake my head, as if that would banish every bad thought. It doesn't. No surprises.

Wanda just looks at me. I extend a hand, which she takes gingerly. "We've got to get her back to the jet. We've got supplies there. But first, you're gonna have to stop moping about, worrying over the past and give me hand because I can't carry you both at the same time."

She glares at me but complies, slinging one of Eliza's arms around her shoulder, just like I have. Together, we heave the girl to her feet, and start to half drag, half carry her back towards the exit - or the entrance we came in from, take it how you like. The jet takes a half formed background of a clump of trees, concealing it from the natural eye, but clear as day to us. We haul Eliza back through the now opened mouth of the jet, slamming her down on to a chair, hoping that it didn't hurt her. I hear a groan and Wanda immediately perks up, a breath swallowed instantaneously.

"Ellie? Please, wake up, Ellie." Wanda pleads, and I swear I see a rare tear drip down her cheek. Her breathing is quick and relentless, leaving her with no time to actually take a breath; she's scared, and by the rapid hammering behind my ribs, I am too. What is she doing to me? A woman that I don't even know is driving me insane with worry. Fuck's sake, Wanda's right - not that I'm going to openly admit that, plus she's too preoccupied currently to read my mind - I am going soft.

I shake Wanda's shoulder, prying her away from Eliza, who's face proves all she wants to do is rest. My head is spinning from lack of water. "Wand! Wanda! Look, I know you're worried, but you need to calm down-"

She snaps as soon as the words leave my mouth, the edges of her eyes tainted red. She turns her attention away from Eliza and on to me with a snarl on her lips. I audibly gulp. "Calm down? Are you seriously insane enough to be asking for a death wish?"

I put my hands up, showing her my surrender, presenting her with no reason to attack. She inhales sharply and relaxes. Her eyes simmer back to their presently pretty blue. muttering an apology, she lets me finish. "Because if you stress, then I stress, then neither of us are fit to help her out. Okay? Take a breath, Wanda."

She does exactly as instructed and backs off ever so slightly. I take charge, making my way slowly over to Eliza. Placing a hand over her forehead, I check her temperature. Normal. Her pulse is perfectly fine too, though traces of high levels of inconstant breathing tickle the surface. I leave her side, pulling out a bed that attaches to the wall. This time, Eliza helps me out as I lift her up in my arms. I carry her towards the bed, laying her out flat. I stash a pillow under her head, keeping her neck high enough to retract any breathing problems. She seems fine, other than shock and a blast from the Stone, which I'll get Banner to run some tests on when we get home. I feel her hand grapple my wrist, and I think nothing of it until my skin starts to heat up rapidly. I yank my hand away and scan the area; a bright red patch covers the skin and I gasp. Wanda seems to see it too. Her eyes are bright with scared curiosity.

"I'm fine, she'll be fine." I say quietly. "Now, you watch over her so I can get us home."

Wanda nods and squats down next to her. I take my seat up front, taking the jet off autopilot - distracting myself from the scene behind. I don't pay attention to any thing that's going on and its only half an hour later that Wanda calls my name. I quip a quick "Yeah?" but don't turn around.

But she's standing over me now, watching the horizon expand. "Do you like her?"

"I- what?"

"Do you like her - Eliza?"

I hesitate. "No. I don't." I meet her gaze, but she drops the subject with a set of pursed lips and a sly nod. Changing the subject, I tell her, "We should be back in ten. Be ready."