Ch. 20 Her

Word count: 1.03k

Wanda's POV:

"Look who finally flew the nest. Welcome back to reality, lovebirds." Tony smirks and I know exactly what he's insinuating. Ellie seems to catch the gist as her cheeks blossom red with a deep blush. Steve greets us both with the same warm smile he always wears on his lips when he's content, though his eyes flicker between Nat, who's sat uncomfortably on the couch, watching the ordeal unfold in front of her, and Sharon, who's eyes are solely staring at Eliza, her hands unmoving from her sides. I don't think Steve caught the tension in the air as he tries to introduce the two.

"Sharon, meet our newest Avenger, Eliza Parker." He says, almost proudly. I prompt Ellie to say something but she's frozen to her spot, and it isn't because of Sharon.

"Really?" She breathes, a small smile testing her lips. Steve nods. "Yeah, sure. Why not?"

Happy now, or at least happier, Ellie reaches out her hand towards the woman who ruined her life, as if nothing had ever happened between them. I suppose in her situation, I would do exactly the same: try and wipe the memories from my mind and hope they never come back. But somehow, no matter how hard anyone tries, it is impossible to run from you past.

"Nice to see you again, Sharon." Ellie smiles, though I can see it just doesn't quite reach her eyes.

"You too, Eliza. Been too long." There's no shame in her voice, no thought for the repercussions that will come her way, because I know the nice in her act is just that: an act. I see through her gauze, her fake plastic barrier. Maybe for one, because I don't believe a person like her could ever change, and two, because the thoughts I just read confirm all of my suspicions at once. The, 'Been too long.' twists and morphs into a assortment of distorted and foul ideas that hide the smirk behind the smile.

Sharon's eyes scowl lightly when the meet with mine, my own deadly gaze stabbing her with daggers. God, I font think anything could possibly even start to explain the desire I have to throw this bitch out the fucking window. "Hello, Wanda. Good to see you."

I bite my tongue at the taunting in her wicked voice. It takes everything I have not to attack her. I look away from her, and all I can muster is a low growl. "Sharon."

She looks between me and Ellie, who's slipped her hand back into mine and intertwined her fingers between mine own. I can feel the jealousy add to her lust as she keeps from snarling. "I didn't know you two were a thing."

God, if there was a chance right now to wipe that pathetically shitty grin from her face, I would take it. I calm a little when Ellie gives my hand a gentle squeeze. I turn my head towards her and her saddened smile makes me relax. This bitch isn't worth my time. I look at the clock on the wall. 3PM.

"When's the party, Stark?" I ask while still trying to hide all the remaining spite left in my voice. Steve looks at me innocently, then looks away when I try to meet his eyes.

"Six."

I stare at the window thoughtfully. "'Kay. Come on, Ellie. We've got shit to do for a couple hours."

Eliza follows suit, sighing a little with relief, her eyes grateful and smiling.

"Don't you have too much fun!" Tony says after us.

"That's not-" I give up. "You coming Nat? We need you a sec."

Nat looks at me with unforgiving eyes and a flat-lipped mouth: stolid of all emotion, but nods anyway and stands to follow us out of the room. I hear a shrivelled sigh leave her mouth as her eyes meet Steve's, his smile still painting his lips. I continue on, dragging on Ellie's arm as her feet shuffle awkwardly forwards.

We reach my room.

Eliza sits on my bed while we wait, her eyes meeting something far off outside of the window. I can just hear the tapping of Nat's feet as she makes her way along the corridor. I turn around for a second to check Eliza's okay, smiling a little as she rubs her hands over her face.

"What?" A voice says from the door. I jump away when I see the hysterical grin on Natasha's face.

"Don't do that." I hiss, partly annoyed at myself for having the emotional bravery capacity of a spooked cat. She just laughs and comes through the door, which I close behind her.

"Did you drag me up here to torture me?"

"How would we do that?" Eliza asks, her eyes glimmering with hope.

Nat seems to bypass the hope. She rolls her eyes. "Come on. You two having sex is enough to screw anyone over."

"Oh," Ellie looks back at her lap, clear disappointment shrouding her eyes as she blinks quickly to stop the tears from falling. It takes everything in me not to scream out loud. I look at Nat, who's eyes are solely focused on Eliza, and I see the pity and sudden loving sympathy shine through her tough exterior.

I can't help it. She's taken her barriers down.

'I'm sorry. I am so sorry. But you look so happy.'

I choke a little on a breathe that catches in the back of my throat. Nat's head spins my way quickly but I avoid her gaze. "Get out my head," she says dully. There's no natural venom coating her words. Weird.

"We, uh, were hoping that you'd help Ellie get into her suit. Finish it off."

"Can't she do that herself? Or you could, with your . . . magic?"

"No." I say a little too quickly.

Nat furrows her eyes brows. "Okay . . . ?"

Slapping a hand against my face, I sigh. "No, I can't. I've got to do my own. And we, uh, promised to get dressed separately. She's got a lot more pieces to her outfit, that's all." I grin inwardly, fully expressing the relief I'm feeling. The story's coming together at last.

"Okay. Sure."

Game on.