Chapter Three

The days merged into weeks and the weeks turned into a month of the same draining routine, Charlotte took Freddie to work with her twice a week and then they spent practically all of their time at the park. Charlotte's first shift of December saw her being sent to a different building and, unlike the previous office she cleaned, this building housed recording studios.

She was relieved that the walk to this building was far shorter, however her good mood was quickly tarnished when she realised who was recording in the studio she had been tasked with cleaning. To her relief, it was empty and she knew it was unlikely that they'd show up at 8 in the morning, but a big part of her was worried about Freddie slipping up again.

She sat Freddie down on the small sofa in the corner, giving him a notepad and pen to use, before starting to clean the mess that had been left. She felt disgusted at all the cigarette butts and beer cans scattered around the room yet, a part of her felt almost jealous. What she'd give to be able to spend just one night partying like a 22 year old should. She loved Fred with all her heart and he was the best thing to happen to her and yet, she couldn't stop a small part of her from yearning for what her life used to be.

"Mama, I'm hungry!" Freddie shouted out, his blue eyes looking up from the notebook to follow her around the room. Charlotte sighed slightly, this was always one of her most dreaded things to hear from Freddie, she never wanted to deprive her child if he was hungry, but she also didn't want to use up all of their food too quickly.

"Okay darling, we'll get something when I'm finished" She told him softly, hoping that he'd be able to hold off until lunchtime.

That seemed to be enough for Freddie to go back to scribbling in his notebook, both of them silent as Charlotte moved around the room cleaning every area in sight. Their silence was interrupted when they both heard the door open, both herself and Freddie looked across to the door at the same time and Charlotte's stomach dropped when she saw who it was.

"Dada!" Freddie exclaimed excitedly, causing Charlotte to shake her head at him. She'd tried to speak about and show him less of Damon in the past month in the hope that this outburst wouldn't happen again.

"Still not grown out of that phase mate?" Damon asked, laughing as he walked over to sit down next to Freddie. Charlotte's heart practically swelled at the thought of Damon remembering Freddie, she was almost certain that he met hundreds of people every week but he still remembered his brief encounter with Freddie.

"Sorry" Charlotte sighed, almost feeling embarrassed at the fact she was cleaning in front of him "I'm almost done"

"Don't worry, there's no rush" He responded, a soft smile on his lips as his eyes met Charlotte's "I'm here really early anyway"

Damon couldn't quite help himself from staring at the woman as she worked, the last time they'd met he'd been so focused on the little boy that her beauty had completely slipped past him but now, even when she was in scruffy work clothes, he saw just how beautiful she was.

"Sorry love, I don't think I got your name last time" He prompted, there was something about her that set off a feeling within him that told him he just couldn't let her slip away.

"It's Charlotte" She responded, stopping what she was doing to turn around and face him "And yours?"

"Damon" He told her, a part of him unsure as to how she couldn't know who he was. Whether she did actually know or not, he still appreciated her asking.

"Well Damon, it's lovely to meet you" She laughed, a grin taking over her lips as she looked between the two boys "Again"

"Likewise" He agreed turning his attention to the little boy next to him before looking at Charlotte became too much for him "And what's your name?"