First Impressions

In these days Karkat could never seem to drag himself out of this constant stupor. The weight on his mind and in turn; his own body. Why he had to be like this? He hadn't the foggiest. But it was painful enough to have this constantly weighing on his shoulders. Like some malevolent boulder forcing him into an abyss. The young man never knew how to shove this weight from his mind; Though he so desperately wanted to be free of these clinging shackles, he could never seem to break free. Despite numerous attempts, which usually ended in a bad place.

At least. That was until this bumbling fuckass showed up at his door; stupid grin on his face and a cardboard box in his long arms.

"Heya motherfucker. You must be Karkat."
That rough drawl had Karkat skeptical of his newly acquired roommate. Perhaps he really wasn't as insane as his wild black hair and indigo eyes would make him seem? Or. Maybe Karkat was entertaining delusions of a normal roommate. Anyone that Sollux sent would likely be someone fucked up. Last time it had been a psychotic blind girl.

Karkat grudgingly allowed the stupidly tall man inside. So much for normalcy. He showed the man his room before he introduced himself.

"Awh yeah. I forgot to tell you my name. Sorry brother. Name's Gamzee." The guy said. Still that stupid grin twisted his lips.

"Yeah thanks. Just. Don't break anything okay? I'll be down the hall if you need anything." Karkat muttered before slipping off to his room where he fired up his computer and confronted his lisping friend.

CG: WHO THE EVER LIVING SHIT IS THIS FUCKING GAMZEE CHARACTER?!
CG: HE BETTER NOT BE LIKE THE LAST FUCKING ROOMMATE YOU SENT FUCKFACE.
TA: calm down kk
TA: iit'2 two early two go judgiing hiim
CG: HE LOOKS LIKE A FUCKING ELF OR SOME SHIT. HES SO FUCKING TALL.
CG: IS THIS A BASH ON MY HEIGHT.
TA: no. And even iif iif wa2. ii could have gone there myself. That would prove my poiint two
CG: YOURE A FUCKING ASSHOLE
TA: giive hiim a chan2e kk. he'2 really not that bad
TA: ii giive you my word
CG: YEAH LIKE THAT MEANS SO MUCH ASSFUCK
CG: I HAVE TO GO. FUCK YOU AGAIN

Karkat sat back in his chair and ran a hand through his hair. Feeling as if he had made no progress in learning anything about his new roommate. Why he agreed to let Sollux send him roommates whenever he needed one was a mystery. He didn't truly ever ask for them; Sollux would just send one of his 'friends' over, thinking they were compatible with Karkat. When in reality he didn't realize how much of an introvert his friend was.

Karkats vaguely unpleasant thoughts were broken by the sound of something falling. Whatever it was sounded heavy.

"What the everliving fuck just fell!?" Karkat yelled as he poked his head out of his door.

"My motherfuckin' shirt brother." Was the muffled response. Followed by an odd honking.

"It sounded a fuckton heavier than that!" Karkat snapped.

"Well. The motherfuckin thing here is, I was still all up and in my fuckin shirt. You get me?"
Karkat silently wondered if this guy could communicate by any normal means. But decided not to get his hoped up as he shut his door again. Fiddling with his sweater sleeves as he sat down at his computer to do more useless coding. He sucked at it. Just like everything else he did. But it was rhythmic; and gave him something to do. Something to waste hours on. Unless he was at work at a small bookstore down the block. He liked the quiet of the usually empty store. And the manager was nice enough. So Karkat just rolled with it. The income was enough to pay expenses. But thank god he had this guy who would hopefully be helping Karkat pay the rent and other bills. But again. Karkat didn't count on anything of the sort. He didn't expect any help from this lanky guy whatsoever.

The next day, Karkat got up to go about his usual dull routine. Only to find that several things had been changed. And there was a purple hoodie draped over the sink when he went into the bathroom for his shower. He promptly deposited the hoodie in front of his new roommates door. Before taking his shower and getting dressed. Same slightly oversize sweater as always. Same messy hair and red eyes. Same shadows. Everything.

The next thing was grabbing a diet coke to take to work. Which he did. Noticing a few bottles of something called Fago in the fridge. Whatever the shit that was it didn't concern him. Karkat left a note on the counter for Gamzee before absconding to work and braving his way through the crowded city sidewalk.

The cacophonous noise crushing on his skull as he slunk amongst the babbling patrons and barking dogs. Don't forget crying babies and other ungodly noises. Before he finally reached the shelter of the bookstore. Plopping down in his usual chair behind the counter and opening his book to catch up on what he needed to do for his courses. He took college courses on line since he didn't have time to actually attend. So when he wasn't coding he was doing that.

Work flew by rather uneventfully. So at the end of his shift he collected his paycheck (it was that time again) and headed out. Back to his apartment where he hoped Gamzee wouldn't be. He wasn't looking forward to seeing that stupid grin. But. When he came in. There was the motherfucker. All comfy on the couch. Typing something on his laptop.

"Hey Karbro. How was work?" The tall guy chimed as Karkat slipped in. Closing the door and sighing.

"It was fine. Don't call me that. What on earth are you doing?" Karkat asked grumpily as he walked into the kitchen area of the large main room.

"I'm fuckin working brotha. It's cool. The boss just all up and sends me shit to code and I code it. It's motherfuckin easy Karbro." Gamzee drawled as Karkat unhappily tore open the bills on the counter.

"Nice. So you're into coding too?" He grumbled. AHH. This was likely the reason that despise-able Sollux sent Gamzee. Because he knew the coding would strike a nerve.

"Nah Karbro. But a motherfucker's gotta have some way to get by." The tall guy shrugged as he got to his feet. Setting his work aside and peering over the top of Karkats head as the shorter man scribbled out checks to pay for the basics.

"Hey wait Karbro. Lemme add my bit." Gamzee hummed. Stepping up beside Karkat and pulling out a battered checkbook that looked like it hadn't been used in years. Karkat raised an eyebrow. Skeptical about this display of responsibility as Gamzee scrawled down some checks to pay for his half.

Maybe he wasn't so bad....