𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 15.

1 hour later

She flinched when the sound of gunshots woke her up. She quickly stood up trying to realize where it was coming from. She found some door, grabbing onto her gun tightly as she started walking down the hallways. It was like a freaking maze.

Suddenly she saw a staircase and realized the gunshots were coming from up there. She started running up the stairs when the shooting stopped. She frowned. Already not liking what was going on so she sped up. She appeared to be in another long hallway when she saw dead bodies laying around. It was more of those hunters and the bodies were fresh.

Only one person could be behind this.

"Joel.." she mumbled as she continued running down the hallway and when she got to the end she pushed the wooden door open. She heard splashing water and grunting as she followed the sound only to see a guy pushing Joel with his whole body.

Joel was under the water that was in a hole in the ground, not letting him breathe and the fact that Joel was turned face down only made it harder for him to fight back.

Makayla didn't hesitate to grab her rifle and aim it at the man's head. In a second his dead body fell on top of Joel as he pushed the body to the side and was finally able to take a breath.

He looked completely confused as he looked around himself before his eyes met Makayla's still aiming forward with her gun.

He frowned as he got up, still breathing heavily as he was now soaked wet.

Makayla came closer and the words that left his mouth weren't the words she had expected him to say, "Why didn't you just hang back like I told you to?" His voice was bitter as he walked up to the dead man, searching his pockets.

"Well you're glad I didn't right?!" Makayla snapped.

Joel stood up and now they stood face to face, glaring at each other.

"We gotta get going." He looked away, still frowning as he continued to walk down the hallway.

Makayla rolled her eyes and had no other choice but to follow him, What the hell is his problem?

They continued going through the hallways and multiple rooms, searching for supplies.

There was a large spacious hall full of wrecked furniture. Makayla noticed a big canvas on the right so she went to stand in front of it.

"That's uh- a backdrop. People would take their pictures in front of it." Joel aproached her.

"Yeah I know what it is." Makayla replied bitterly making Joel scoff.

"Okay then. Somethin' on your mind Makayla?" He asked almost provocatively.

"I wasn't trying to disobey you back there. You were taking really long so I thought maybe you've gotten into trouble." She looked at him. Since yesterday it's been real fucking embarassing to do so.

"It don't matter what you thought. I need you to listen to me." His voice was hard and bossy.

"I do... it's just that- you know what?! whatever Joel." She rolled her eyes and proceeded to walk past him, ending the obviously meaningless conversation.

In front of them was a stage and a large piano.

They both jumped up on the stage as Joel looked around, trying to figure out what to do. There was a balcony right above the stage. He walked up to the piano pressing a few keys on it creating a short off key melody before he grabbed onto it and started pushing. The piano was really big and looked pretty heavy, leaving Makayla genuinely impressed at how he managed to push it the side.

"Alright let's go." With a groan he jumped up on it and onto the balcony. Makayla jumped right after him and they finally got out through a random open window.

They crossed the street getting inside of a building when suddenly Joel grabbed Makayla by her hand.

"Shit, get down, get down." He pulled her to him under the windows and right behind were two people running from a truck. Two sounds of gunshots sounded making them flinch as if they were shooting at them but thankfully they couldn't see them. They heard two hunters jump out of the truck.

"They got no food. Nothing, let's go." One of them declared and they both jumped back into the truck leaving those dead bodies there on the ground as the truck left.

Joel and Makayla stood up, looking at the scene. They just looked at each other without saying anything and continued to make their way down the street.

...

"This is the second poster I see of this movie." Makayla walked closer to the poster hanging on the wall right in the middle of the street.

"I saw this. Right before the outbreak." Joel spoke from behind her.

"Does he totally gut her by the end?" Makayla looked at him.

"Nobody gets gutted it's a dumb teen movie."

"Well who dragged you to see it then?" She asked curiously earning a heavy sigh from him, "I don't know." He mumbled and she decided not to push it and just let it go.

They continued walking down the street when Joel spoke, "Through this building we can get to the other street." He said and they got closer but there was no possible entrance. Just a ladder that was in the air, needing to be pulled down.

"C'mere." Joel mumbled and positioned himself under it. Makayla stepped on his palm as he lifted her up into the air and held her so she could pull it down. Her one hand was firmly placed on the back of his neck and with her other hand she grabbed onto the end of the ladder, pulling it down with a low groan.

"There ya go." Joel murmured and placed her on the ground before they both climbed it.

The low door of the building were thankfully open as they stepped into the street and the loud sound of engine sounded not so far away from them.

"It's that fucking truck again." Makayla whispered next to Joel.

"It's alright just keep your head down."