I. Brand New Start

___

In a humble cottage in the outskirts of the city, when the sun still rests low in the sky and the birdies who fly high sleep still soundly in their nests. One young shy boy and one little dragon stirred awake.

"Wakey-wakey, kid!" Hero whispered, seemingly unbothered by the ungodly hour they were awake. 

Chitsume body kept still and unbothered on the bed, seemingly still asleep. 

But Hero knows better and using the fluff at the end of their tail, they trailed it to Chitsume's exposed feet. Chitsume stirred this time as he sat up on the bed, small giggles and laughs leaving his mouth and his hand quickly holding Hero's tail still. "Aha, knew you were awake."

"I-If you already knew I was awake, why'd you do that, you meanie!" Chitsume yelped, retracting his feet from the fluff and protecting them under the blanket of his bed. "I was going to go back to bed soon, anyway!"

"We both know that's a lie, you're way too nervous to do that so let's just go and get ready." Hero said matter-of-factly as they open the nightstand beside them and got out a comb and gel for the little fur they had, grabbing the bowtie Aoi made for them too.

"Already?? I know we live pretty far, but it's only about a two-hour ride! We still have like.. one hour before we need to go..!" The boy whined but still got ready along with Hero anyway.

The two then naturally went into their daily routine, Hero combing Chitsume's hair and their own as Chitsume got both their breakfasts ready. A bit heavier than what they usually eat but for good reason. Chitsume's going to get the exercise of his life in the next few hours.

Just as Chitsume started to plate the eggs and rice on the toast, a new set of voices entered the room.

"You two sure are early birds," Aoi laughed as Daichi leaned on her shoulder, pretty much still asleep.

"Yeah.. it's way too early..." Daichi yawned.

"You don't have to send us off, Papa, we can go on our own," Chitsume said with a small laugh.

"There's no way I'm not sending my kid off! That's just shitty parenting!" Daichi rebutted, only to get a flick on his forehead and a scolding about "Minding his language" from Aoi.

"Aren't you a great dad," Hero said sarcastically as he snatched up one of the spare bread slices.

"Hell yeah, I am!" Daichi yelled, all of a sudden he was tired no more as he started to pump himself up, hands up in the hair, and wandered off around the house.

"Papa isn't the smartest.." Chitsume sweatdropped.

"Nobody tell him, he's all excited now, it's as cute as it's pathetic." Aoi laughed to which Hero and Chitsume nodded. But after her small laugh, she turned to the two and with a smile, she said, "Good luck out there you two, I'm so proud of you guys!"

"Y'all gonna kill that entrance exam!!" Daichi yelled from the other half of the house.

 Chitsume smiled again as Hero had a small lopsided grin, accepting their respective bags from Aoi. What? Dragons need their own bags too, it takes tools to maintain that tail fluff.

Anyway, the duo waves their last goodbyes to the couple, setting off and making their first step to reach their dreams.

To become a hero.

___

"Get away from meee!!" Chitsume yelled as he sent fire towards a 2-pointer robot, effectively burning it and his long sleeves to ashes. The poor pink sweater...

"Shtill dunno--" Hero started, a piece of robot in their mouth, "ptooey  Why you wore a sweater of all damn things..." 

"I didn't know what to wear, okay?!" Chitsume defended as he ran through the area, burning multiple robots along the way, some sweat already starting to drip down his face. He slightly gawked on the way as one of them had.. balls as hair?

But before they could even ask himself mentally, a scream disrupted his thoughts. "What the hell is that?!" 

"Yep, we're out of here!!" Hero yelled, and again, their thoughts were cut off as a giant STOMP happened behind Chitsume. "If you want no trauma, I'd recommend not looking back!"

Being the curious idiot he is, Chitsume looked back as Hero started pulling him by the tail, he was able to have a good look at what the hell that was and he almost fainted at the sight. 

A giant robot the size of the buildings around them x2, its eight red eye lights staring right under Chitsume like a small tiny bug. "oH MY GOD--" Chitsume screamed as his legs almost gave on him, his body quickly starting to fall face-first to the hard concrete.

"I JUST told you not to look back!" Hero screamed in frustration as they grab Chitsume's sweater collar by the teeth and started dragging him away from the giant killer robot and to the left where they arrived at a small alley out of the 0-pointer robot's way.

"I was curious, okay?!" Chitsume cried as he slumped on the alley wall, catching his breath. Feeling the fatigue only now, his knees feeling like absolute jelly, and his palms extremely sweaty and hot. 

"Hey, rest up faster, this ain't fini—" 

BZZZZ!!

"Nevermind! Guess it is done now." Hero corrects as Chitsume melts on the ground yet again in a happy relieved jelly thing. 

"We did it..!" Chitsume celebrated hands up, Hero taking hold of his ankle and dragging him across the ground as Chitsume let themself be dragged, though quickly standing up and patting the dust off himself the second he saw one glimpse of anything remotely living.

Chitsume hid behind the not-so-broad back of Hero, though only further digging himself further in his own grave as a boy with white-pink hair and red eyes hiding behind a talking white dragon isn't the most common thing in the world.

"Phew.. I really hope I get in..." Chitsume hoped, "If I fail and have to go back to my parents empty-handed after all the support they've given me and--"

"Oh shut your negative little mouth. We decimated those robots so just relax!" Hero started with a small grin.

"You 100% passed. No question about it!"