Chapter 2

The morning following the gathering, Stormberry awoke in her nest in the warrior's den with a stretch and a yawn. She looked to the nest beside her to see Hawkfrost still sound asleep.

He usually never sleeps late, Stormberry thought as she exited the den, Although he could just be tired from the gathering last night.

Stormberry quickly ate a fish from the fresh-kill pile and prepared for the day's patrols. Hawkfrost still hadn't awoken.

Mistyfoot, the clan deputy, walked toward the front of the group of warriors. She searched the crowd to make sure that all warriors were present to start the day before speaking.

"Where's Hawkfrost?" Mistyfoot meowed as she continued to search the crowd.

"I'll go get him," Stormberry responded as she walked back toward the warrior's den.

 Hawkfrost was still asleep in his nest when she arrived, so she gently prodded him with her paw.

"Hawkfrost, time to get up." She meowed.

No response.

She prodded him again.

Still nothing.

Stormberry then got an idea. She smirked, as smacked him on the ears.

Hawkfrost immediately sat up in his nest rubbing his head, "What in Starclan's name was that for?!" he hissed angrily.

"Well, you wouldn't wake up and you're already late so...." She responded with a smile.

"Mousedung!" He responded as he quickly smoothed out his fur and dashed from the den, with Stormberry close behind him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Mistyfoot assigned the patrols, Hawkfrost and Stormberry set out on the midday border patrol.

"So, you seemed pretty tired after last night," Stormberry said as she looked over to her friend.

Phase One of keep an eye on my best friend and his strange habits is a go, She thought to herself. Also, the plan might need a new name.

"Oh, uh yeah. Last night was just so exhausting." He responded half-heartedly. "So, you and my brother seemed to get along."

Changing the subject, huh? Stormberry thought.

"Yeah, he's really nice." She smiled at the thought of the night prior.

"Glad to see that two of my best friends are getting on well." Hawkfrost smiled. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stormberry had observed Hawkfrost for most of the day. So far he had come across particularly moody, tired, and had several fresh scars.

Now, night had fallen and she sat awake in her nest watching his behaviors as he slept.

This may sound like I'm being a creep, but he's starting to concern me. She thought as she sat awake in her nest as the cats around her slept.

Most of the night was uneventful, he would toss and turn at times but nothing drastic happened at night when the cats of Riverclan slept. Stormberry had noticed a few new cuts forming every time he rolled over in his nest. At night she explained it as a thorn in his nest.

But the next day, when she cleaned out the warrior's den and no thorn was found in his nest, her suspicions and fears for her friend grew.

What in the name of Starclan is he doing? She thought as she fell asleep the next night. And it looks like my plans to watch over him will take far longer than I imagined.

Oh, how right she was.