Chapter 17

A few nights later, when Stormberry and Brambleclaw's wounds had begun to heal, the pair decided to meet up again. The two warriors went to their usual spot on the gathering island and greeted each other warmly. They hunted and spoke to each other as they always did.

But when they sat down to eat their catch, things began to get a bit awkward. Neither of them spoke as animatedly as they used to, and often only answered the other's questions in short sentences.

Neither knew what was going through the other's head. Stormberry and Brambleclaw both felt sorry knowing what they were about to do but thought that it had to be done.

After the awkward hellos, the uncomfortable hunting, the minimal chatting, and the tension-filled meal it was moonhigh. Their night was coming to an end. The time had come for that last conversation.

Stormberry took a deep breath. Brambleclaw finally looked up from his paws to face her.

"We need to talk." Both cats stated at the same time. Things began to get more awkward as each cat quickly stammered over the other, offering to let the other talk. After the stammering ceased, more awkward silence ensued.

"So... I have something to say." Stormberry began, "I-"

"We need to stop seeing each other!" Brambleclaw explained as he cut her off, thinking that she was going to say she loved him. He really didn't want to hurt the shecat, but felt he had to do it for her safety.

"What?" Stormberry looked up at him.

"We... we can't.... we can't see each other anymore."

"Is it because-"

Brambleclaw, much to Stormberry's annoyance, cut her off again: "It... this... we... it goes against the code. And we can't keep it up forever. So it's best if we just end things now before one of us gets caught... or..." hurt. The tom thought as he trailed off.

"Brambleclaw I-" Stormberry tried to say what she meant, how she needed to break things off so he didn't get hurt, but before she could say anything else he said his goodbyes and raced away from the island.

Stormberry sat there for a few moments, a mix of angry, sad, and annoyed, before dashing off to her own clan as well.

Oh Starclan Brambleclaw, if only you'd've let me finish. The shecat thought as she walked. But it's better that he doesn't know it was me who put him in harm's way. We're both better off.

If only she knew that he was thinking the same thing she was.

If only he knew how she felt, things could've been different. But they weren't.