Chapter 13

A few days had passed between Stormberry and Hawkfrost's encounter at the camp entrance, and the tom had been avoiding her ever since. She had spoken to Brambleclaw about it at their nightly meetings, and he too seemed a bit suspicious of his half-brother's actions. Since there was nothing either of them seemed to be able to do about the situation, Stormberry approached Mothwing, a shecat whom she thought could surely be helpful in a situation like this.

"Mothwing?" she called out as she entered the medicine den.

The shecat walked out from where she had been organizing some of the herbs; not knowing how in need she would be of them later.

"What's going on, Stormberry?" Inquired Mothwing.

"I'm uh... I'm worried about Hawkfrost," She began, "Have you noticed that he's been acting strangely recently?"

"Well... he has been a lot quieter than normal. And well...." Mothwing trailed off.

"What?"

"Whenever we eat dinner together... he just.... has been angrier than he used to be. He has shorter of a fuse than normal when we talk."

"Oh, thank Starclan! I thought I was going crazy! He's also been avoiding me lately, has he said anything about it to you? He's been weird ever since we talked a few nights ago."

"No, he hasn't talked about it to me. I'll see what he says later though."

"Thanks! Oh, and do you need any help with those herbs?" Stormberry called before she turned to leave.

"I think I'm all set! And if you see Hawkfrost, just send him to me."

"Will do!" Stormberry called as she left the den.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Later on in the day, Stormberry was walking about the forest as she searched for Hawkfrost. She had scoured much of RiverClan territory before she picked up his scent. She was confused at first when she smelled it, for it was on the clan's border with Riverclan. She followed the scent and took note that it led into WindClan territory.

What are you up to? She thought as she began to cautiously follow the scent.

She began to walk through the moorland, picking out her friend's scent from that of the prey. And the cats who had walked there recently.

The tall grasses prickled her fur and whiskers. She wanted to just go back home, forget about all this madness, and get ready to see Brambleclaw again. Nevertheless, she pressed onward. She kept going because she wanted to help her friend. At the time, she had no idea how far gone her friend was.

The farther into Windclan territory she walked, the more concerned she grew. Both for her safety, and for Hawkfrost. Never had either of them been so far into another clan's territory on a night that was not a gathering night.

Stormberry had been walking for hours and the sun was now in the center of the sky. She kept getting lost and crashing into things due to her eye, which really hindered her search. The warrior was almost positive that her scent had to be all over WindClan territory right now. As she walked she let her thoughts drift, to the severity of what her friend was now doing. He was definitely breaking the code now. But, then again, so was she. Her face fell as she thought of all the laws she was breaking now, and all the laws she had broken over the past few moons. Did that make her no better than Hawkfrost?

Suddenly, she hit a tree. "Fox dung!" she meowed softly as she stood up and brushed dirt and leaves from her fur.

Wait, dirt and leaves? She thought. Stormberry looked up, realizing where she was. Oh. My. StarClan.