Chapter 4

Recap:

She lay down in her nest that night and slept for what felt like only a moment when she awoke somewhere else. A place that she had visited once before and had silently hoped to never see again.

She awoke in the dark forest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stormberry quickly stood up and looked around the trees around her. It was hard to see much, seeing as the stars and moon did not shine here.

All the trees before her seemed dead and brown leaves crunched beneath her paws as she began to walk around, despite it really being newleaf. As Stormberry walked through the forest, nothing seemed to change. It was always dark with dead trees and brown leaves littering the forest floor.

As Stormberry walked onward, having no idea why she was there or where she was going, she began to listen to the sounds around her. In the hopes that her other senses would save her from running into stuff in this unfamiliar environment.

She could hear the crunch of the dry leaves as she walked, and the faint yowls of other cats in the forest. Stormberry then paused for a moment to smell the air around her. It reeked of blood, death, and crow-food.

This place truly is disgusting, Stormberry thought as she began to walk once more, but a sound stopped her.

The sound of pawsteps calmly approaching her.

"Who's there?" The shecat called out without turning around.

"Hello, Stormberry, we meet again at last." the approaching cat meowed. Stormberry quickly turned around to face the cat that had spoken. The cat had amber eyes, and fur with splotched white, red, and black. Stormberry instantly was reminded of who she was, but not whether to trust this she-cat.

It was Mapleshade. The cat she had met when she first came to the dark forest seasons ago.

"Hi, Mapleshade," Stormberry answered as she approached the older shecat.

"You look so grown-up compared to the last time we met, you truly are a warrior now." Mapleshade meowed, looking to the scar over Stormberry's eye. "Are you ready?"

"I'm sorry?" Stormberry asked, confused, "Ready for what?"

"To make the choice. Will you train here, with us, or out there with the stars? You've had plenty of time to think, now it's time to decide." Mapleshade meowed as she stood up and began to circle Stormberry, as the younger warrior sat there in silence.

"Your power will be put to good use here, you'll be able to train alongside some of the greatest cats of all time. And alongside your friends."

What does she mean with my friends? Stormberry thought.

"Oh, you didn't know?" Mapleshade began to speak once more, "Well, of course, you wouldn't. No one is really... permitted.... to speak about the training that happens here. Not even to their friends. I suppose that's why Hawkfrost and Brambleclaw haven't told you yet." Mapleshade sat down in front of Stormberry once more, a smirk on her face as she looked into the eyes of the younger shecat.

"Is... is that what's been up with Hawkfrost lately? Why he's been tired and wounded all the time? Is that why he wanted me to meet Brambleclaw?" Stormberry cocked her head to the side as she spoke, she truly felt lost at the moment.

"Well aren't you just so observant."

"I'm just concerned for my friends, that's all." Stormberry narrowed her eyes as she responded. What was Mapleshade up to? Stormberry had no idea.

"So, now that we've had our little chat, do you want to train here with us? Become stronger like your friends are?"

Stormberry thought about this offer for a moment, but ultimately decided that if Hawkfrost and Brambleclaw had agreed to this it couldn't be that bad, right?

"I... I think I will."

"Excellent", Mapleshade purred, "You'll train with me for a bit until you're all caught up to where your friends are, then you'll be able to train with them. You'll start tomorrow."

As Mapleshade began to walk away and the dream began to fade, the older shecat looked back over her shoulder and meowed, "I assure you, Stormberry, that this is the right path." And with that, she was gone. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stormberry then awoke in her nest the next morning, deciding not to tell Hawkfrost about the talk she shared with Mapleshade that night, or about her training.

It was at that moment, the Stormberry that had once slept in that nest was lost.

Would she be found?

That is an answer no one knows.