Chapter 12

Stormberry and Brambleclaw had held their most recent meeting only a night before the next gathering, and nothing had seemed more perfect to the pair than the time they shared together.

It was sunset in Riverclan, the night the gathering was set to occur, and much of the clan was gathered around the highrock to hear who would be attending. Stormberry, Hawkfrost, and Mothwing, as was the usual in Riverclan, all sat side by side. It was soon decided who would be attending, and Stormberry was saddened to not hear her name being called for the gathering. She was only a bit sad though; for she was sad to not be attending with her friends and seeing Brambleclaw, but she felt that it was only fair, seeing as she had been to so many of them in the past few moons.

As the clan prepared to leave Stormberry turned to her friends, who would both be attending, and asked "Can you guys tell me how it goes?"

"Of course!" Mothwing responded happily as she went to line up.

"Thanks! Have fun!" Stormberry called out to her friend as she walked toward the clan entrance. "Hey, uh, do you think you could tell Brambleclaw that I said hi?" She asked as she turned to Hawkfrost, who was sitting beside her cleaning his fur as he got ready to go.

"Sure." He responded, with a hint of malice behind his voice that went unnoticed by Stormberry.

"Hey, Stormberry! Think you could guard the camp entrance tonight?" Mistyfoot called out.

"Of course!" She responded to the deputy's request, before turning to Hawkfrost, "See you later!" And with that, she sped off toward the camp entrance to stand guard for the night. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A while later, when the full moon shone brightly in the sky, Stormberry sat at her post at the camp entrance, looking up at the star above her as she often did when she was up in the night. She couldn't help but wonder if the cats that she had lost in her life were watching her and would be proud of the choices she made. She smiled at the thought, hoping that they would be happy for her and Brambleclaw. But knowing that they probably wouldn't be; for it went against the warrior code.

Stormberry slowly put that thought in the back of her mind, for she was happy with her choices. And that should be all that matters, right?

At the sound of pawsteps approaching her ears perked up and she turned to face the sound. Then she saw her clanmates approaching in the distance.

"All good here, Stormberry?" Leopardstar asked.

"No trouble at all." The warrior responded with a nod of her head as the leader entered the camp, most of their clanmates following. All except for Hawkfrost.

"Brambleclaw says hello," Hawkfrost stated to his friend. "Also, he... he's Thunderclan's deputy now."

"Whoa! That's amazing! I'm so happy for him!" Stormberry responded with a smile, "But it's also pretty sad, you know, that Firestar never found Graystripe."

"Yeah, good for him." The tom responded curtly as a plan began to form in his head. "But I'm sure it will all work out in the end."

"Yeah...." Stormberry trailed off as she began to see a glimmer of malice in her friend's eyes as he began to approach the camp. "Well, good night!" She called out, only for Hawkfrost to not reply.

Stormberry looked at her paws, a look of thought on her features. What are you planning, Hawkfrost? She thought. What are you planning?