Chapter 10

Hawkfrost had been watching Stormberry very closely since he watched her leave the camp alone in the night a half-moon ago. He had been watching her every move and had indeed seen the changes in her behavior. From how tired she seemed most mornings, to how happy she appeared to be when he watched her return to her nest on the nights she left.

What he next observed, however, only made his suspicions grow.

Each night Hawkfrost and Brambleclaw would train in the dark forest, he would see similar changes in his half-brother's behavior. Sometimes he would come for training with damp fur, or already exhausted, with an unexplainable smile covering his features.

As the days passed Hawkfrost slowly grew closer to putting two and two together. The similar behaviors. The constant disappearances.

Then one night, as he pretended to rest as he watched Stormberry return once more from his nest in the shadows of the warrior's den, it hit him.

He then realized that Brambleclaw and Stormberry were sneaking out each night to see each other. The thought of this angered him a bit, for it went against everything that the clans stood for. However, he chose not to oust their relationship. Not because of the happiness it brought the two cats. No, not because of that at all.

For Hawkfrost had decided that this secret could hold a very important place in his plans for the future. All he had to do was make it seem like he suspected nothing.

So that is what he did.