14 | Ball

It's been about two weeks since the last stint, the ring that is and I've basically-

"Tighter... tighter... more... I said more! Tighter!"

"Mother, am I to breathe tonight?" I look over to my mom.

"Your chest and buttocks are getting too big, this corset will help make them look smaller." she huffs.

I sigh, "Fine"

We're having the quinquennial ball tonight, and as I've started my stints, I'm to be the talk of the night.

"You still haven't decided on who to dance with tonight, other than your father of course"

"I don't want to dance with anyone" I whine only to get a glare my way.

"You are the princess and as a member of the immediate royal family-"

"-i'm supposed to keep the people happy I know", I sigh.

The maids rush to fix my hair in a perfect bun of the top on my head, curls falling down. Darce worked on my face, applying the small powder she'd made from the flowers from our very own garden.

"You look beautiful, Kat", she smiles after she's done. My mother clears her throat and Darce bows before walking away.

"Ready?", she smiles as if she didn't just scare off my best friend.

I sigh "Nope"

"What is it now?"

"Nothing, nothing...let's go"

"His Majesty William, Her Majesty Helen, and her Highness Katyana Xacansky" we are called out

"His Majesty William, Her Majesty Helen, and her Highness Katyana Xacansky" we are called out. I'm on my father's left while my mother's on his right. I muster up a picture-worthy smile while he leads us both down the grand stairs.

The whole room is lit up with chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, giving it a soft afternoon glow. It's filled with men and women from all across the country, and some even from abroad.

I spent the first few minutes greeting all the guests, and one particular one who was too interested in me.

"You look... ravishing, your highness" a man walks up to me, kissing my hand.