Chapter 8

It wasn't until I sat down in English that the rage took over.

How dare Ronan come back!?

How dare he? Didn't I make it perfectly clear last time that I didn't want him here!?

I guess, if you were on his good side, then he would be a great friend; no doubt about that.

But I was always on his bad side.

Ugh. Stupid boy. I shook my head and mentally returned to the lesson.

"You alright there Alex?" Asked the person next to me.

Ah, Oliver Lewis, my dear friend. Sorta.

I chuckled, "Yeah, it's just that angry me wants to hit the teacher for ruining one of my favourite books for me, and happy me wants to hug her for trying her best. I was just shaking my head to shut them up."

Okay, I lie.

I have no multiple personalities. Just good old fashioned madness.

He just laughed, causing my cheeks to warm, ever so slightly.

What I meant by he's my sorta friend? I kinda maybe just a chance that I could have somewhere along the line had the chance to in way if you look at differently and forget common sense - started crushing on him.

Ollie is just so ... Nice.

He's kind to people - opens doors for strangers, looks out for the bullied kids, gives his old clothes to the clothing bank, gives half his pocket money to charity... Or so I'm told.

He even looks friendly.

Warm, chocolate-brown eyes, thick, brown curly hair, wide smile... Yeah, it's no wonder why I like him, if you think about it.

But it has to be the fact that he's kind and smart. Not just book smart, but people smart. He can tell if you're lying, or sad.

"- like?" He asks.

I blink, "What? Sorry, just dazed a bit there." I blush a little at my unabashed daydreaming.

"I said, have you read any new books that you like?"

Ah, my fountain of knowledge...

I clear my throat, "Well, Mortal Instruments is good, adventure, fantasy, and a bit of romance. Infernal Devices is by the same author with the same-ish themes, but it's set in Victorian England. We're still not too old for Neil Gaiman, so read The Graveyard Book if you haven't already. Not The End Of The World - it's about Noah. But if you're a real man..." I trail off, aware that I'm blabbering on.

"Yes?" He asks, oblivious to my idiocy.

I smirk. "Try Divergent or anything by Ally Carter."

"Aren't those aimed at girls?" He scratches his neck, clearly confused.

I nod, "Yes, but girls like it when you have something to talk about - and they're really good books, if you can get over the fact that they're aimed at girls."

I hear a rapping on our desk.

"Could you pay attention? Please, I'm trying to teach." A nasal voice rings in my ears.

Ms Kingsley is my English teacher, and she's a bit of a pain.

I mean, come on, I could teach English better than her!

I look up, seeing she's chosen to wear a leopard print blouse with a red skirt and matching heels, her grey glasses balanced on her crocked nose.

Not a good look for a forty-odd woman.

She pats her greying hair back into its dying squid shape.

"I suppose, if you're so knowledgable about Jane Eyre, you might as well teach the class if you want to talk through it." Her lips curl into a grimace and I can hear the taunting in her voice.

I stand up.

Challenge accepted.

The one thing I know is not to back down. If people talk down to you, stand on a stool and make them look up.

I walk to the front of the class and rap my knuckles on the wooden desk.

"Today we will be learning about the role of women presented in Jane Eyre," I say, ignoring the shocked faces.

"So far, the women in the book have been quiet and obedient to men, fitting the stereo type. However, in the confrontation between Jane and Rochester, we see some breaks in the role model of the perfect woman, or what she was like then."

I pick up a copy of Jane Eyre.

"Please go through the book with your partners and find me some examples of this. I want about five each, you have ten minutes." I announce and people start working.

With that, I walk back to my seat and start looking for my quotes.

"What was that?" Whispers Ollie into my ear.

I ignore the slight shivers and reply, "Divine intervention."

He snorts, and goes back to the work I assigned him.

Strangely enough, Ms Kingsley didn't bother my for the rest of the hour, and even carried on with the lesson I started for her.

It only goes to show what little people can do...