Chapter 14

Recap

I'm about to tell him that I like him, because this is the moment, "Ollie, I-"

"What the hell is going on?"

Ronan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ollie scrambles to his feet, cheeks red, and looks at the floor in submission.

I just sit there, and watch the scene unfold.

"Ollie." Ronan drawled out with a grimace, clenching and in clenching his fists.

Ollie looks up and nods his head. "Ronan."

"Alex." I add in a robotic voice.

Okay, I couldn't help myself...

But I regret it as Ronan's eyes fix on me, a little bit of danger alight in his pupils.

"Well, isn't this nice? All of us here. Together." He says this while still looking at me.

Ollie clears his throat. "Ronan, sorry man, but you didn't say you were coming 'round. I would have-"

"-told Alex not to come? Or maybe tell me not to come? Or, perhaps, you would've got some snacks." He adds the last part with a cruel, sarcastic smile.

This was the Ronan I knew. The one who tormented me, bullied me, and made me feel so small I finally learnt to stand up, just so that I'd look a bit taller.

"What's your problem, Ronan?" I ask, getting to my feet as calmly as I can, never taking my eyes off him.

"Funny you should ask..." He walks towards Ollie and me slowly, taking his time.

I feel Ollie tense besides me. He should be afraid.

But I'm not.

"You see, Alex, I thought we had a contract."

"You said it was an open contract."

He sneers. "Every contract had rules."

"They're more - guidelines," I say, mimicking Captain Barbosa. What? All Pirates fans would do the same...

I knew I shouldn't have tested him. I could read all the signs, but I just wanted to push the rules I had always obeyed:
Don't talk back.
Don't hit back.
Don't tell anyone.

My disobedience must be too much for him to handle, because power over people meant the most to him. If you were with him, you might get protection, but only from the outside. Gods help you if you were against him.

I see him raise his hand, but punch him in the stomach before he can slap my cheek; I will not be hit. He winces and bends over slightly, like the first time I punched him.

I may have been play-fighting earlier, but this was just a bit different.

I grabbed Ollie's hand, and pull him out of the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stop running after we reach a Tescos, and walk inside.

What? I was hungry. Any girl will sympathise.

"Alex, I'm sorry."

I turn around, and look right into Ollie's worried brown eyes.

"Hey, it's not your fault he's dangerous to society. It happens," I shrug and pick up the essentials. Chocolate, Ben and Jerry's Fish Food ice cream, a big bottle of water and an apple.