Chapter 15

"Fine, tell us the plan," I requested, attempting to cover my giggle with my hand.

She winked at me. "Clover will ride with Diego and I'll ride with Bizaria!"

I started to smile until I realized Parker was the person I always rode with. He liked to say he was my "riding buddy". I didn't want to admit it but I missed him. A lot.

"Good plan," Diego joked, using air quotes, distracting me from my thoughts.

Together, we walked over to the stables quietly and found Liberty already waiting on a pasture. Diego brought her over to an area where the people inside the building couldn't see. Then, Zoey and Bizaria got on first and they all flew away. Meanwhile, Diego and I took a seat against the wall of the stables and waited.

"So, how's life in the world of Clover Southland?" he asked me.

I closed my eyes. "I don't know, myself. Everything's so confusing. But... I'm glad you're here to help."

Diego beamed at me. "I'm happy to help." Then, he added the last part in a whisper. "It also gets me away from school classes so... I think I should be thanking you."

I gave a quick chuckle and stared into the cloudy sky, which was also quite misty. The sun shone through but we couldn't actually see the sun. There was also a cool breeze that made me shudder I bit from the cold.

"Remember when we first met?" Diego suddenly wondered, his eyes gazing into the empty pastures.

I blushed. How could I forget?

"I never got to tell you this but I watched you guys flee your house. I was going to help you sooner but..."

"Hey, it's not your fault. Don't feel bad. You did a lot, so thank you," I said. How much had he seen? Did he witness my uncle Greyson, aunt Ophelia, and cousin Fern's deaths?

"I recalled you yelling at me though," he teased. "Accusing me of being part of The Cloaked."

I put my head in my hands, embarrassed. "Don't remind me."

"Haha. It was funny."

Suddenly, a small bunny hopped beside me and I freaked out so much, I sprung up and tripped. Right onto Diego's lap. Not only was I in somewhat pain, I had fallen and embarrassed myself even more. I lifted myself and squeezed my eyes shut, not wanting to see Diego's reaction. But somehow he didn't seem to be bothered by what had happened.

"Are you okay?" he asked, reaching over to put a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"I'm fine, I'm fine. Sorry," I whispered, looking down. The bunny was still beside us and Diego reached out to pet it.

"So cute," he commented. Was he talking about the bunny or... "Oh, um... I mean the bunny. To clarify. Sorry."

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Right."

At that moment, Liberty flew down in front of us. We both hurriedly stood up, cleared our throats, and looked everywhere except at each other. Awkward. I attempted to get onto the massive pegasus, when I realized Diego had slipped his hand onto my waist and was helping me up.

"Thanks," I mumbled, my hair falling on my face like a curtain. Diego smiled and got on behind me.

"Come on, Liberty. Let's fly," he whispered. His arms wrapped around my blue dress and we headed into the sky. With his arms around me, I could barely speak, nor could I breathe.

Oh. My. Gosh.