Chapter 17

I cautiously turned around, my heart beating faster and faster. It couldn't be. There was no way.

But it was. Parker Florest stood right in front of me, plain as day. The cool ocean breeze made his blonde-brown hair ruffle and his eyes seemed to be a darker version of green. His cape was blown to the side and his hands were in his pockets.

"Why are you here?" I whispered, taking a step back. My feet were touching the water now.

"To see you," he simply responded, his face curved into a smile.

I scoffed. "Go away. I want nothing to do with you."

"Clover, I'm really sorry," he said, turning his gaze onto the sand of the beach. Once again, I was surprised by hearing my first name come out of his mouth. "You need to believe me. I know, you don't have to trust me anymore, but I want to help you. Sincerely."

"With what? I don't need help." I frowned at him. Couldn't he just leave me alone? Seeing him made my heart ache.

"I know Pierson. She'll help you with whatever you need," Parker told me, as he gestured towards the mermaid from before, who was now floating on her back behind me.

I was still suspicious though. "How do I know you don't have any other motives? How did you even find me here?"

Parker let out a big sigh and walked closer to me. Now our faces were only a few inches apart from each other. We were basically sharing the same air. My head began to feel a bit dizzy at the sight of his pretty green eyes.

"Southland, I regret everything I did. But I had to save my brother, who got released now. He's safe so I'm not working with The Cloaked or who I called Master. I set on finding you the moment Johnny went back to school. I couldn't go back though. It was too difficult not seeing you."

"And you never thought for a second how devastated I would feel?" I cried.

His eyes widened with surprise and sympathy, as he placed his hands on my back, bringing me even closer. "I did. I cared about you so much."

"You didn't," I said. "I know you didn't."

"Hey," he whispered, his voice shaking a bit. "Please. Trust me. Nobody else in the world does. Except maybe my family but they all still blame me for what happened to Johnny. I lost all my friends and..."

I rolled my eyes. Gosh, was he annoying... but endearing. "Am I supposed to feel bad for you?"

He smiled slowly, then leaned his mouth beside my right ear. "If you want to."

In a flash, his arms wrapped around me and he pulled me in for what seemed to be a hug. My heart felt like it had been slammed into my chest, as it began to race even faster now.

"I missed you, Southland. I really missed you."