Chapter One

A smaller, gray cat stretched his paws and legs. He sniffed the air, knowing there would be some food. Getting up from his paws, he leaped forward to the dish.

Shifting his head downward, he nibbled on the dry, tasteless pet food. Licking his muzzle, he looked around his surroundings. The house was clean, fresh with breeze. He noticed that his owner wasn't home yet.

What if I went out in the garden? The cat thought. He looked at the catflap to the garden. Steadying his paws, he walked slowly. All the way to the catflap, he pushed with his head and onto the green grass.

It was still morning, the breeze was nice, the sky was clear, and the cat smiled with joy and curiousity. He jumped on the fences and slightly tilted his head higher to smell the fresh air.

He moved his head right to left, shifting eyes on the streets. There were rats and strays. The cat didn't mind the noise, but tasted the fresh city air.

"Oi, Juniper!" A black and white cat, covered with filth, leaned against the fences. Juniper noticed the friendly voice, he turned his head towards the cat and smiled even more.

"Hello, Oliver- how are you today?" Juniper asked politely.

Oliver shifted his eyes all the way to Juniper and replied,"Oh, it's going great! What about you?"

"The usual, hey- any plans?"

"Maybe catch a rat or two."

"Sounds great!"

"Well, I better be going, bye Junip!" Oliver lowered his head, he jumped off his paws and started walking.

"Bye, Oliver," Juniper replied. He looked at his friend leaving goodbye. Juniper looked down on his stubby, gray paws. If my owner isn't here, it wouldn't hurt to explore- would it? Juniper thought to himself.

He hesitated for a few seconds then leaped down on the dirty, sturdy streets. He looked at the fences with worried eyes, but walked on with his paws. Off he went on the streets.

"It's not so bad, right?" Asked Juniper.

Juniper walked towards a place. On the streets were crowds of people selling and dining food. He noticed he was near an alleyway too. His collar swung left to right everytime he moved. Raising his head higher, he saw the people's faces.

Some of them had cameras, while others just enjoyed their food. Juniper wondered Is this what life in the city is really like? He went on curiously.

On his way, a dog was barking rapidly. The gray cat was scared with a sudden, he had no idea where to go. Despite the dog being on a leash, Juniper ran away, frightened.

He stopped, panting in an alleyway. The place was filled with bags and bins. He raised his head slightly higher, he saw all the filth. Instead of Juniper feeling gross, he was fascinated. He had no idea what life in the city was really like.

"Hey, kit," a brown cat, filled with spots wandered the bins. Her fur was itched with scars. She was much more bigger and fiercer than Juniper himself. Juniper noticed the cat. He turned his head, directly looking at the cat who was walking towards him.

"Oh- me?" Juniper asked.

The cat raised her head slightly higher, "Yeah, who else would I be talking to?"

"Uhm, n- no one?"

"Mhm, so- kit, what are you doing here all alone?"

Juniper had his eyes anxious. He looked down to his collar, and tilted his head towards the alleyway exit. "I wanted to explore, but it seems like I'm rather lost," he continued. Juniper turned his head back to the spotted cat.

"I'm lost too, but kit- you'll get used to it," she said. Without hesitation, she gave Juniper a scornful look and jumped on the bins higher to the rooftop.

"Hey! Where you going?" Juniper asked, he stared at the cat jumping bin to bin.

The spotted cat arrived on the rooftop, but before she left, she tilted her head slightly to Juniper, "You'll just have to get used to being lost." And leaped away.

"What? No..- No! I don't want to be a stray!" cried Juniper. He looked around his surroundings, not knowing what to do. He soon leaped forward towards the bin and attempted to jump.

In the end, Juniper fell down. He panted. Juniper looked at the alleyway exit, he gave up chasing the spotted cat. Moving his paws, the cat walked slowly out.

He lowered his head a bit, and walked out to the open city.