Chapter Four- The Rock

Once I wake up I stretch as far as the seats allow me to before letting a loud but much-needed yawn out. I stare off into space trying to wake myself up. Grabbing my phone, I open my phone and go to the messaging app to see James' text without actually clicking on the message. I Never open any of their text all the way, so they can't see that I had viewed their messages and decided not to reply to them. I can't allow my brothers to find out that almost all the time I ignore the messages they send me. I usually find a way to cover for myself by making up some random lie. I used to loathe the feeling of lying, but presently I couldn't care less. I can't tell when the last time I told the truth to anyone, other than Theo and Luca last night, and I purely did that due to the fact that I was forced to.

They were merely asking about my trip and James would pick me up at the bus stop. I turned off my phone to gaze at the scenery outside. I watch as the world appears to pass me by. The clouds began to darken, leaving me to guess that it was going to rain in a little while. If I was lucky, it wouldn't rain until I return to my house given that James is roughly consistently late for everything.

Upon seeing the welcome sign for my hometown, it lets me know that my stop is near. I'm slowly preparing to deal with my brothers and everyone else in my suffocating town. My mind reels with thoughts of simply turning back time and preventing what took place a couple of weeks ago, or even taking back what's taken place last night with Theo and Lucca. A recurring thought pops into my head, I deserve this, I deserve this, I mean, it was my fault. Wishing I had never gone to the summer art program. Craving the capability to be able to time travel back in the past and compel myself to get not to get on the bus. I could have prevented this entire mess with Theo and Lucca, and I could remain in my cozy bed for the remainder of the summer vacation. I could have pretended for a little bit longer than what took place on that terrible night was just a silly dream.

I gravely want to be able to erase the memory of what happened to me from my mind. I just want everything to go back to normal, but I don't think that will happen anytime time soon. I can't let any more of my secrets out to anyone. I can't let my brothers know about what happened. Maybe I can just pretend as I did in New York. I mean I did convince two people that I was this brave, strong, carefree girl. Maybe I can convince the rest of my brothers.

 The bus came to an abrupt stop, making my body jolt forward and my thoughts come to a halt. I got up cautiously and took my baggage out of the overhead compartment. Hauling my possessions off the bus, I look around to see if James's car had already arrived at the bus stop waiting to pick me up. I let out a puff of air when I realize his truck is nowhere in sight. Not to mention I hear sounds of thunder off in the distance, indicating that a storm was approaching.

I simply sit my things on the bench, taking a breath of fresh air while expanding my arms and legs. Sitting on a cramped, dingy, evil-smelling ancient bus, for hours on end was not in the least bit pleasurable. Taking out my phone, before I sit down on the grassy area around the street, I shoot James a text telling him that I am here. I lay down examining the gray sky filled with rain clouds as a sensation of calmness washed over me. I shut my eyes taking in this sensation, understanding that I will not feel it again anytime in the near future. It's as if all of my problems washed away, it's as if the universe is sending me the calm before the storm. I embrace the feeling knowing that soon enough, all of this would be over and I would have to return to reality.

It all starts getting spoiled by the dark clouds that were finally starting to form over my head. I let out a mouthful of air before I pick up my stuff and got prepared to leave. I checked the time once more and saw that 45 minutes had passed. James was still nowhere to be seen. Leading me to roll my eyes, knowing I'm going to have to walk all the way back to town in the freaking rain. My anger starts to increase because how could you possibly overlook that your sister is coming home after being away for 2 weeks? I scoff at my brother's absent-mindedness, I hold my belongings in a tight grip making my knuckles turn white.