Chapter 5

"Do you think the others had any luck?" Haytham looked back at Pitcairn as they arrived at their destination. "I have no doubt, in some way, that they have accomplished their mission. You are all capable men and this is a mere hunt for knowledge," he replied simply.

Pitcairn looked taken aback yet flattered by the master's comment, and he bowed his head obediently. "Thank you, sir." Haytham nodded once before entering the bar with a confident stride, his head high as he surveyed the room.

No one paid the two men much attention, and he took a deep breath as he began to pick out his target. Pitcairn tapped his shoulder lightly, then gestured to a pair in the corner of the room, who were silently speaking to each other.

Haytham nodded once, and Pitcairn moved forward, taking a seat at the bar within earshot of the two men. With a satisfied hum, Haytham began to wander through the bar, eyeing certain tables and criticizing certain individuals before he spotted a potential target.

He moved in casually, forcing a smile as he stopped in front of the man. "Excuse me, I was in need of help and I was hoping you would provide such aid?" he asked politely.

The man kept his head down, his shaggy black hair hung in front of his face and concealing his identity. Haytham lowered his head a little, trying to catch a glimpse. "I don't mean to be a bother, but it won't take long, I can assure you," he told the man, smiling a little wider.

The man moved slightly, just enough for a pair of bright green eyes to be visible through the wisps of black hair. "What?" His voice was deep, accented, not necessarily threatening, but Haytham immediately straightened out, his lips folding into a thin line.

"I had a question regarding a...citizen of Boston. I believe them to be a danger, and I was hoping to inform the authorities. See, one of my own men was attacked by the one they call Tacitus, and - "

The man immediately shot up from his chair, drawing to his full height and easily towering over Haytham. He was not fazed, however, and instead maintained eye contact with the man's cold, green eyes. "I assume you know who Tacitus is?" he asked, tilting his head to the side.

The tall man clenched his jaw, the shade across his face just dark enough to smoke out his facial features. "You do not find Tacitus," he said slowly. "Tacitus finds you."

The man then turned and walked out of the building without hesitation, and Haytham made the wise decision not to pursue him. Pitcairn hurried over to his side, staring at the door. "Is everything alright, sir?" he asked.

Haytham sighed, narrowing his eyes a little. "Yes...did you manage to find anything?" he continued, turning to Pitcairn. "Yes. Apparently Tacitus is new to Boston, and they did not come alone. What their motive is, I do not know, but they have indeed been stirring up trouble in town, with those riots and all," he explained.

Haytham nodded in acknowledgement, making his way briskly to the door. "That man...." he mumbled, grabbing onto the horse saddle and jumping up.

"If you ever find him again...and believe me, you will not miss him, you let me know. I believe him to be an important key to solving this rather complicated mystery."