Chapter 77

~~~~ 1 year, 9 months later - September 16, 1781

It had been a long three years spent away from the Brotherhood, but the last year and a half were even more strange. 

Haytham had not been as worried for Mirabella when she would leave the fort, however when she would return, her Blades would be sometimes stained red.

"What happened? Were you attacked?" he had asked her the first time. "No, everything is okay," she had replied simply, then would silently clean her Blades. 

Their exchange would repeat at least two more times during that week. But, just as his worry for Mirabella peaked, she had approached him one night. 

He was not prepared for what she had told him, but he somehow had felt better. "There have been Assassins sent to New York to kill me. Clearly, they haven't succeeded yet."

While he comforted Mirabella over the deaths of the Assassins, he could not help but feel proud of her. She had soon grown out of the guilt and regret she felt after each encounter, and it became - dare he say - a natural occurrence.

Mirabella had proven herself to be a valuable asset, but today - little did they both know - that their skills and loyalty would be put to the test.

~~~~

"I've asked for your belongings to be packed, along with Charles'," Haytham explained, examining his sword. "I am not leaving you here!" Mirabella cried. 

As though on cue, the very ground beneath them shook and the fort around them trembled violently. "My dear, it is not safe to stay here - I cannot worry about the situation as well as you," Haytham protested, holstering his sword. 

"You know VERY well I can take care of myself! Let me fight with you!" she argued, enraged. Haytham turned to look at her, freezing when everything shook again.

"Mira, please - you know he is coming and you know he will attack you first," he reasoned. She followed him closely out of their room, stumbling when the fort was hit again.

Quickly, Haytham caught her, keeping a protective hand on her back as they hurried for the gate. "Why must you be so stubborn? Don't send me away!" Mirabella snapped once they exited the fort.

They spotted Charles standing nervously next to two skittish horses. "I can ask you the same thing, my dear." Haytham ushered her towards one horse before addressing his comrade.

"Make sure she follows and leaves with you, Charles. Get to safety," he advised quickly. "Yes, sir." Mirabella grabbed him by the wrist and pulled him closer. 

Her eyes were wide but glassy and bloodshot as she stared up at Haytham. "Please don't do this," she whispered. His heart clenched painfully in his chest, and he kissed her deeply in response. 

"I love you, Mirabella." He quickly pulled away from her, turning to walk back into the fort. "Get her to safety, Charles!" he called, then sprinted away.