Chapter 64

~~~~ Winter, 1777

"I never thought there would be a day where I was disappointed in Connor. Assassins work and accomplish their goals in secrecy, and yet the boy decides to tell the Commander himself of his true nature - of Templars and Assassins. He claims he had no choice, but there is always a choice, and it had caused an even bigger rift between myself and the Brotherhood...and my brother. Claudio has been the only one to remain loyal to me, alongside Connor. I fear that the Assassins will drive me out, and that Gianni would only watch it happen. It seems that no matter what I do, it is never enough to please the Creed. Connor and Gianni have quarreled more and more with each passing day, as well. I do not regret my decision, accepting Connor into the Brotherhood - he has accomplished more than the previous Colonial Brotherhood ever could - but I fear his rage and stubbornness has costed us."

~~~~

"Don't do this, Connor!"

The boy stormed out of the den with an equally enraged Gianni following suit. Mirabella and Claudio had joined them, as well. 

"Then what would you propose we do? Sit and watch while the Templars take control? We are sworn to stop them, or have you forgotten?" Connor spat back.

"Assassins are meant to be quiet, precise. We do not go announcing conspiracies from the rooftops to all who pass by!" Gianni yelled, his voice booming. 

"Stop this! We can resolve this in a better way!" Mirabella cried, but her words fell upon deaf ears. "Who are you to lecture anyone? You have done nothing but attempt to discourage and dissuade me. You have allowed your Assassins to turn on their own Mentor and tear the Brotherhood apart!"

Mirabella gasped at Connor's words while Gianni stiffened, his fists clenched. "How DARE you?!" he snarled, advancing slowly. 

"Then tell me: on whose watch did the Brotherhood falter? Whose inaction allowed the rift to grow so large that it now pushes one of its own leaders out? The only leader that has done anything to fight the growing Templar influence?" Connor said shamelessly as he loaded his horse.

Mirabella went to advance, but Claudio stopped her. "I would advise against meddling in this for now," he warned gently. 

"If I sought to dissuade you, it was because you knew nothing! If I was reluctant to contribute, it was because her former allegiance with the Templars has prohibited us from contributing!"

Mirabella scoffed, feeling a dull ache in her chest; "How dare you accuse me after all these years?! And make up excuses?!" she shrieked. 

She was ignored once again. "A thousand times you would have died and taken god knows how many with you! Let me tell you something, Connor: life is not a fairy tale and there are no happy endings!"

Mirabella pulled away from Claudio, her rage taking over. "No - not when men like you are left in charge," Connor shot back. 

He mounted his horse, glaring down at Gianni as he approached. "In your haste to save the world, boy, take care you don't destroy it!" he hissed.

Connor then rode away without another word, but the fight was far from over. Mirabella charged at her brother, unsheathing her Blade, and both weapons clashed and created sparks.

Gianni threw a kick, but she deflected it before punching him in the gut. He doubled over, and Mirabella quickly kneed him in the face before tripping him. 

"Ho messo in gioco la mia vita per ottenere informazioni per il Brotherhood. (I put my life on the line to get information for the Brotherhood.)" she spat hatefully.

Mirabella brought her fingers to her mouth and whistled loudly, signalling for Armino. "Ho rischiato la vita quando ho lasciato i Templari con informazioni sensibili in modo che potessimo avere il sopravvento, me hai scelto di ignorarlo. (I risked my life when I left the Templars with sensitive information so we could have the upper hand, but you chose to ignore it.)"

She grabbed Armino's reins, glaring up at her brother with bloodshot eyes as he stood up. "If I am so vile, so tainted and untrustworthy - " 

She swung herself onto her horse, lifting her hood. " - then allow me to bestow upon you the full leadership of the Brotherhood."

Mirabella then raced away, ignoring Claudio's calls, and she followed the tracks left by Connor's horse.