Chapter 80

Connor stood at the harbour, watching none other than Charles Lee speak urgently to another man. When he spotted Connor, however, he did not hesitate to turn and run - a chase.

Connor raced after him eagerly, the cold air nipping at his exposed scalp. He weaved his way around clusters of people, pulling his gun out and shooting at any nearby guards that dared to engage him.

Connor watched as Charles raced into a semi-constructed ship, but it was lit up in flames. A poor attempt at losing me. The Assassin sprinted straight into the burning ship, finding Charles fumbling to avoid the flames and debris.

Connor effortlessly maneuvered his way around, diving under wooden beams and climbing up and over impassable areas. Both men reached the top of the ship, leaping from beam to beam as the fire rose higher and higher.

The panel beneath Charles' feet suddenly gave way, and Connor had no time to slow down. The Assassin and Templar fell back down into the ship, landing in a heap of broken wood.

Connor let out a painful yell when a piece of wood pierced through his flesh, and he glanced down to see it jutting up from his abdomen. 

He glanced up when Charles staggered to his feet before dragging himself to Connor's side, clearly aching from the fall.

"Why do you persist...? You put us down, we rise again. You end one plot, we forge another. You try so hard...but it always ends the same." Connor gasped when he dislodged the piece of wood from his stomach, and he threw it to the ground.

"Those who know you think you mad, and this is why. Even those men you sought to save have turned their backs on you - your own Mentor having been one of them." 

Connor seethed at the vague mention of her, and he slowly reached for his gun. "Yet you fight. You resist. Why?"

"Because no one else will!"

A gunshot went off, and Charles stumbled back and cried out in pain. He fell to his side for a moment, but quickly regained himself before staggering away. 

Connor attempted to follow, trying to get up, but the pain overwhelmed him, and he slipped out of consciousness.

~~~~

He stood in front of the tavern, staring up at the door with tired eyes. Connor clutched his bleeding stomach as he entered the tavern, ignoring the odd looks he received.

He found Charles, sitting alone at a table in a separate room, and Connor slowly made his way over. Charles weakly glanced up at the sound of Connor's arrival, but he remained silent.

The Assassin grabbed hold of a chair, dragging it across the wooden floor to place it next to Charles. The Templar continued to remain silent and unmoving as he watched, eyeing the blade in Connor's hand.

Instead of attempting to flee, Charles simply reached for the bottle of alcohol and brought it to his lips slowly. He took a long sip, savouring the taste and cherishing the burn down his throat.

With a bitter smile he offered the bottle to Connor, who cautiously took it to have a sip of his own. The two men then sat in silence for a few moments, the seconds dragging on and prolonging the inevitable. 

I'm sorry, sir...I tried.

Charles leaned back in his chair, visibly giving up any idea of defense or running from the tavern. He stared at Connor with hooded eyes as the Assassin moved closer. 

He allowed Connor to pull him forward, resting his forehead on the boy's. He let out a choked cry as the knife was plunged into his chest. 

Connor moved him back into his chair and pulled out the blade, then ripped the large amulet from Charles' neck.

He landed with a heavy thud on top of the table and did not move again, and with that Connor stumbled out of the tavern.