Chapter 37

"Sorella, I forgot what you looked like." Mirabella rolled her eyes at Gianni's comment, taking a seat next to him. She found him outside, sitting next to the front door. "How is he doing?" he asked her. "I think he'll make it.

"The wound is no longer infected, and his fever is almost gone. It is now just a question of recovery time," she replied. The small home they were staying in was not too far from the city, but far away enough to drown out the noise. 

Gianni bumped shoulders with her. "I am assuming you two are...okay? Made up?" he asked. Mirabella sighed, pursing her lips. "I'd...like to think so, but...I still have this feeling of...betrayal, I guess, abandonment...." she whispered honestly, lowering her head. 

Gianni sighed, nudging her again, but she didn't look at him. "Of course you are still going to feel hurt, sorella, you are not the only one to have been heartbroken," he told her. 

At that she turned to her brother, a mix of confusion and shock on her face. "Do you mean...?" Gianni nodded, an embarrassed smirk on his face as he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. 

"During your year or so with the Templars, I...may have dabbled a little in the American women." Mirabella shot up in shock, hitting her brother over the shoulder. "You never told me! What happened?!" she gasped, bouncing excitedly. 

Gianni sighed, looking down. "It turned out she was married and did not want to be with her husband anymore. I told her it was a despicable thing to do and I chose to never speak to her again," he explained softly. 

Mirabella's happy mood slowly faded away when she saw the genuine sorrow on her brother's face. "Mi dispiace, fratello...if it is any consolation, she does not sound like a good woman to be with," she comforted, leaning into him. 

He leant his head on hers for a moment, accepting her comfort; "It's okay, sister, it is in the past," he reassured her, shrugging her off. Mirabella just sighed before turning to look out at their surroundings, giving up on delivering comfort. 

Gianni had always been the reserved type of person, whatever he would go through he would keep to himself - not even their mother could pry things out of him sometimes. 

It was no wonder he had sounded so reluctant to open up at all to his sister, but Mirabella knew when to back away. "Mira!" She perked up at the use of her brother's nickname for her, which made her furrow her brows. 

Jennifer leaned out of the door, an excited yet panicked look on her face. "He's insisted on getting out of bed!" Without a second thought, Mirabella nearly bowled the older Kenway over as she raced back into the house. 

Massimo and Jim were at the door, glancing back when she approached. "Oh Dio, you are in trouble now," Massimo commented, backing away to let her pass. She walked into the bedroom to see Haytham sitting at the edge of the bed, prepared to stand up. 

"I'll take care of it from here, grazie," she said, dismissing the men with a wave of her hand. Haytham looked up at her, his blue eyes showing just how drained he was despite his poor attempt at a smile. 

"I was wondering how long it would take you to come back," he said, looking down. Mirabella scoffed, walking over to stand in front of him. "Was this all an excuse just for me to come back here?" she asked, a little irritated.

"Of course not. It's just I would also like to see the outside world from time to time while I am recovering," he shot back with a cocky smirk. She rolled her eyes, carefully taking one of his arms and draping it around her shoulders.

"Well, you've made this much of an effort already," she said, then led him outside.