Chapter 9

Recap

Why bring me back home, make me feel loved, only to hurt me all over again.

None of it made sense.

Unless they still thought I did it.

Unless they still think I did it.

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

To some, there comes a moment in time when everything changes. The life you once thought was real isn't reality at all. Instead, you see that your life is a carefully structured web of lies, all built to fool you into thinking fairytales are real.

What went down eleven years ago isn't quite as simple as we want Lenora to believe. Sometimes I wish I could say that everything was a misunderstanding; that we never actually meant for Lenora to be sent away.

Truthfully, what happened was beyond complicated, and everything had changed within a moment. It was a whirlwind of lies, blood, tears, and anger.

At times I wonder what would've happened if we didn't send her away. If we let her stay. She could've been happy with us. But then I realize, if we hadn't, she would be dead.

Nonetheless, nothing happened the way it was supposed to.

Everything went wrong. Mike shouldn't have died. Lenora shouldn't have been taken. We should never have trusted her.

But we did, and our world fell apart.

Sometimes I think about how we could've been happy, like before, if we didn't know the truth.

After all, ignorance truly is bliss.

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

My head snaps up when I hear the sound of a door banging open. Slightly out of it, I turn to check the time.

Morning already?

I sigh gently and push a strand of hair out of my face. After getting home last night, I changed back into my pajamas and began working through the files. Despite the lack of sleep, I'm not tired, mainly because all-nighters were quite usual for me.