𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 25.

"I had no idea you didn't know about her." Maria stuttered.

Makayala just stayed looking at her, curiously waiting for an explanation.

Maria sighed, giving in, "Sarah was Joel's daughter. She died in the day of the outbreak and apparently it was Joel's birthday that day too. She was only 12. Tommy says he hasn't been the same since. It impacted him badly."

Makayla was in complete shock. She definitely wasn't expecting that.

Joel had a daughter. Now it made sense, why he was always acting like a father at some point. Not that she knew much about a fatherly behaviour.

She quickly did the math in her mind, realizing Joel was only 17 when Sarah was born.

"I know it's not my place to tell, just- don't mention Sarah in front of him." Maria looked at her and finally picked her food up.

Makayla's eyes shifted to the plate as she started eating, still shocked.

...
Meanwhile

"We've been here just a week but it feels like forever." Tommy said, taking out his bag and placing it on a table, "I got something for you. Last year I went back to Texas. Back home. Most of our stuff was long gone." He said and took out a small picture, handing it to Joel, "Here. It's a little faded but still looks pretty good."

Joel's eyes focused on the picture. It was a picture of him and Sarah, "I'm good." He muttered and handed the picture back to Tommy.

"You sure? I mean-"

"I said I'm good." Joel looked at him with a serious expression on his face.

"Okay. I'll hold on to it for ya." Tommy said and put the picture back into his bag.

"Tommy I need to talk to you. Privately."

"Yeah okay. Let me just check on my guys real quick. C'mon." Tommy said and started walking away and up some stairs with Joel right on his heels.

Tommy opened the upper door and stepped outside. The river was far under them and there was already multiple people doing their jobs.

"I don't know what you've heard but you should see the town. We're over 20 families strong now. It was Maria and her father. They set up this place. We got crops and livestock.Remember how we thought no one can live like this anymore? Well we're doing it." Tommy stated while they were making they way into the other side of the building.

"What do you do for protection?" Joel asked.

"Adults take turns guarding the perimeter. We even got an electrified fence. When the plant's up and running."

"You still gotta deal with infected  though, right?"

"Who doesn't? But it's the world we live in."

"Well maybe you don't have to be." Joel said making Tommy snort a laugh, "You sound like Marlene."

Joel turned to the side noticing a dog laying on the ground playing with a ball as he bent down to pet him, "Hey buddy."

"That's Buckley. Not much of a guard dog but good to have around."

"That's a good boy." Joel said patting his head before he stood up and they continued making their way inside.

Tommy opened the door and they stepped in. Seeing two man looking at a paper with a plan with construction on it.

"These two geniuses are gonna bring this plant back to life."

"We're almost done." One of them said and Tommy and Joel they continued walking by.

They appeared to be on a staircase, seeing a bunch of men working down there and suddenly the lights lit up.

"We did it boys!" One of them shouted from downstairs.

Tommy and Joel walked down and Tommy opened some door, "Let's go talk." He said and they both stepped in.

It looked like a small office with a table and two chairs on each side.

"So why'd you leave Boston?" Tommy asked.

"I've been on quite the adventure little brother." Joel said and sat down on one of the chairs with his legs spread wide and one hand on the table.

"I reckon it's got something to do with that girl." Tommy sat down too, and Joel let out a scoff,

"It's got everything to do with that girl."

Tommy looked at him, "Well, go on then."

"She's immune."

"Immune to what?" Tommy frowned in confusion but he quickly understood what he meant, "Oh c'mon." He looked away not believing.

"I know, I've seen her breathe enough spores to take down a dozen men. Nothing. I wouldn't have believed it neither, but I can show you." Joel demanded.

"Alright. I'll bite." Tommy's head tilted to the side to know more, "Why bring her here?"

"I was supposed to deliver her to the Fireflies. But I figured if your boys and you finish the job you collect the whole damn payement."

"I haven't seen a Firefly in years."

"But you know where they are. I'm not asking for much Tommy I just want some simple gear enough to send me on my way."

"What makes you think I'd do this for you?" Tommy frowned.

"This isn't for me, Tommy. This is for your damn cause."

"My cause is my family now." Tommy protested, "You ain't talking about some walk in the park here."

"Jesus boy. Have Maria get some of your born again friends to do it, I don't give a-"  Joel was slowly loosing his cool.

"They got families too." Tommy cut him off.

"Tommy I need this."

"You want some gear- sure. But I ain't taking that girl off your hands." Tommy said and stood up.

"This is how you gonna repay me huh?!" Joel groaned.

"Repay you?!" Tommy asked and Joel stoof up abruptly. They were now standing face to face.

"For all those goddamn years I took care of us

"For all those goddamn years I took care of us."

"Took care? That's what you call it? I got nothing but nightmares from those years."

"You survived because of me!" Joel screamed.

"It wasn't worth it." Tommy talked back and was about to walk past him but Joel pushed him back and Tommy's back hit the cabinet.

Joel stepped closer, "I bring you the cure to mankind and you wanna play the pissy little brother?!"

As soon as he said that a siren went off.

"What the hell is that?" Joel looked at Tommy, "We're under attack."

He immediately grabbed his gun and looked at Joel, "You still remember how to kill right?"

"Yeah..." Joel groaned and they both ran out of the room.