Chapter 3: The Field Trip

Chapter 3

The Field Trip

"Field test?" Ryu asked cracking his knuckles
"Yeah, the school ranks us by our skills in order to place us in teams" Vale explained adjusting his shield on his back. The two teenagers were walking down the school path following the other students. Ryu adjusted his hood to cover his hair and the mask to cover his headphones.
"Are you going to take this seriously?" Vale asked watching Ryu prepare himself
"Yeah, but I doubt I'll go all out." Ryu said scrolling through his phone
"First you're music is loud as hell, second this is important, third where are we going?" Vale told Ryu as he looked around
"Whatever I need music, and I think to the test" Ryu said following the students ahead. The students all walked towards the Heli-Trains and waited as a teacher stood up.
"Okay, listen up! We're going to split you all into groups and begin the field test in the Curtain Wood Forest! All students go into the Heli-Trains and we'll perform the drop." The teacher explained to the students while instructing them into the Heli-Trains. Vale and Ryu walked into the nearest Heli-Train, sitting on the bench with about 50 other students.
"Where are we going?" Vale asked Ryu quietly
"I don't know, he said something about a drop" Ryu responded fixing his hood
"It's close, so they're probably going to drop us off in the forest" Vale predicted trying to think
"Wait if this test is ranking us, why is it a big deal if we fail" Ryu asked confused
"Remember when I said that a lot of the students fail? If you get a low score of fall in battle, you won't be able to attend the school" Vale explained to Ryu, slightly stressed out from the test
"They expel you for that?" Ryu asked
"Apparently, so it's important we do well" Vale said trying to think of good strategies.
"We'll be fine, it's just a little test. I'll just destroy every beast I see" Ryu grinned under his mask, fire gleaming in his eyes
"You're pretty scary some times, you know that" Vale laughed
"Yeah, but I'm not that bad" Ryu laughed with him. The two students talked for a few more minutes before a voice came on.
"Attention students, we will now begin the drop, now is the time to be prepared. The goal is to reach the gate at the end of the forest, many creatures roam this forest so if you are not ready, you will fail. Cushion is 500 feet directly below us. Good luck students" a beep signaled the end as the back of the Heli-Train opened widely, blowing in huge gusts of air as the students prepared their gear and walked to the huge exit. They looked down and saw the forest 500 feet below them.
"Oh I get it the drop. I really like this school" Ryu laughed looking at the forest underneath him. Vale gave him a look and tried to block out his nervousness. Students jumped out aiming for the cushion underneath them, some missing and automatically transported to a health center. Ryu laughed at some of the students landing, "Dude one guy fell into a split on a tree". Vale glared at him, fixing his armor. Ryu grinned as he put in his headphones and jumped out of the Heli-Train falling through the air trying to avoid other falling students. Vale jumped out, falling fast towards the cushion trying to aim accurately. Vale pulled out his large should blocking the wind from his face and landed heavily on the cushion. He rolled off and looked around.
"The hell did Ryu go?" he asked himself trying to find his friend. Meanwhile, Ryu avoided the cushion and aimed for the giant Catasrophie bird flying in the air. He grinned as he ignited his fist, flames covering his right arm as he raised it above his head. In an instant he zoomed towards it crashing his fist into the bird as it squawked. They fell through the air, the bird completely roasted as Ryu continued pushing it towards the ground with him. Ryu crashed the bird into the ground, destroying a large area around them. He stood up grinning, noticing the large crater and area of destroyed monsters and land. Ryu then ran off leaving a trail of destruction and fire behind him. Vale sighed and silently followed the obvious and disturbing path of destruction that only Ryu could make.