Chapter 5: Partners

Chapter 5

The Partners

Ryu and Lily gazed up at the broken temple, admiring its beauty. They didn't however notice the sea rumbling behind them temple. Ryu's eyes widened as he sensed an attack, he wrapped his arms around Lily to her surprise and jumped out of the way from a tail smashing down to where they were standing. Lily blushed when she realized how close they were and the position they were in.
"T-Thanks" Lily said quietly as he let her down
"Be careful, I'll take care of this" Ryu said staring as a long white and blue sea serpent rose, wrapping around the temple. It stood gazed hundreds of feet tall, it's pupils focusing on Ryu. It let out a vicious roar blowing wind around everywhere knocking trees over. Ryu stood staring at the monster as Lily took cover. His body ignited, causing heat to spread around a mile radius, his flames raging intensely. The serpent shot a giant stream of water from its mouth at high speeds, Ryu took a deep breath and roared. A large tornado of flames bellowed from his mouth colliding with the water, creating a large amount of steam and blasting the serpent in the face. It roared in agony. Lily looked at Ryu, amazed by his destructive power.
"Wow, I guess he is a Catasrophie" Lily said
Ryu jumped in the air and kicked it in the snout, knocking it in the water. The beast flailed around waving its tail, its tail crashing towards Lily again. Ryu looked towards her and appeared next to her taking the hit. Ryu broke through several trees blocking the hit.
"Did he just save me again?" Lily asked herself staring at the red and black haired boy recovering from the hit
He stood up and grinned as he clashed his hands together, creating a giant ball of flames and threw it at the monster causing it explode and blow the monster backwards. Lily used her magic to heal Ryu from his previous wounds as he charged towards the beast. His body ignited in flames as he punched the beast with a massive amount of power. Ryu landed and grabbed the beast by its tail, and threw it into the distance. He grinned at Lily as he walked towards her.
"That was really awesome, you ready to go?" Ryu asked Lily
"Uh yeah I guess so" Lily said still dumbfounded by what happened
"Thanks for the healing by the way, that helped a lot" Ryu said thanking her
"Yeah no problem" Lily said smiling at him
"So where do we go now Lily?" Ryu asked smiling at her. She blushed slightly.
"That way, we should be getting close to the gate" Lily said. They started walking towards the direction of the gate.
Vale walked down the path noticing some skidding and another persons footsteps.
"Did he meet someone? Why did he stop?" Vale thought to himself wondering what happened. He followed what looked like Ryu's footsteps. Vale didn't notice a cold breeze blow past him and land right next to him. He jumped back and noticed a white haired girl look at him and didn't say anything.
"Uh hi, I'm Vale Golem" Vale said awkwardly "I guess we're partners now"
"I'm Aeria, Aeria Marici. It's nice to meet you Vale" she said wrapping her arm around her bow
"I hope you don't mind but I'm currently looking for my friend, is it ok if we make a detour and find him first?" Vale asked her
"It's no problem, let's just try to be fast" Aeria said lifting off the ground, hovering above Vale. She zoomed towards the sounds of explosions and Vale followed closely behind. As they ran through the forest they came across a giant hole in the ground. Vale peered into the giant pit and Aeria landed next to him.
"What's wrong?" Aeria asked Vale studying his face
"Something's off about this" Vale said quietly. Suddenly the ground started shaking and a giant Mole erupted from the hole. It's giant claws swiped at them as Vale pulled out his shield blocked the attack and Aeria easily dodged behind Vale. Vale studied the mole for any weak spots and possible tactics. Aeria pulled out her bow and lifted into the air, shooting arrows at its pressure points while moving around quickly. Vale charged towards the mole only for it to dive underground. Vale waited for the mole to move up again. He tried predicting its movements and didn't notice the mole bursting underneath him forcing him backwards. He slid against the ground as Aeria pulled back an arrow and launched it towards the mole, a large gust of wind blew it backwards. The beast toppled over. Vale shoved his shield into the ground creating a wall around the mole so it wouldn't be able to move.
"Aeria, kill it now" Vale shouted. Aeria nodded her head and shot an arrow traveling at jet speed through the monster. Vale panted and wiped his sweat away as Aeria landed next to him almost as exhausted. They rested for a little bit and started walking towards the path again only to find a large water temple.
"A battle was just fought her recently" Aeria commented
"You can tell?" Vale asked. She pointed at the broken trees and large imprints on the ground.
"Oh~" Vale laughed
They were definitely close to the gate but one more obstacle stood in their way.