Chapter 13

The Test 13

The thing humans and all creatures have in common is that we all hate work. Cameron and I agreed that I have to work part time which means I need transportation, Cameron is in a care centre for the elderly looking after sweet old ladies while I'm sat here with a nagging old man telling me to watch the road, this is my sixth driving lesson I've had this week. I haven't yet found a job but Cameron's earning a good income, for now anyway.

"Watch the road!" Mr Perez shouted, Mr Perez is my cruel old driving instructor.

"I am!" I screeched maybe he'd hit the road that would be interesting.

"Pull in there." He pointed to a McDonalds; I guess even nasty teachers get hungry. I drove carefully round the car park and into the drive through. "I'll have a double cheeseburger with fries." He handed me a fiver and I opened my window.

"Hi can I take your order please!"

"Yeah can I have a double cheeseburger with fries please?"

"Yeah anything else?"

"Nope that'll be it."

"Okay then that'll be two fifty please." She passed me a bag of straws and sauces and gave me my change.

Driving to the next window I took the food, I handed it to Mr Perez. "Okay let's head back to the centre." He ordered.

Back at the centre Cameron stood waiting for me as usual, but he looked confused and was counting his fingers. Getting out of the car I walked over to Cameron. "See you next week Mr Peraz."

"Hey, what you counting?" I asked looking as confused as Cameron did.

"Listen don't scream but I've got a surprise for you." I love surprises. "In exactly one hour and thirteen minutes your grandma will be reborn."

"What?!" I asked. "How'd you know that?"

"You know Alberdeen, the guy who gave us that floating house, he is in charge of the decision whether the dead get reborn or go to 'hell' as you call it. He also can predict, rebirth and death."

"I want to hear less about Alberdeen and more about my Grandma, where is she going to be born, can I visit." Cameron rolled his eyes.

"We can try to, but she's not going to know who you are, her whole memory has been wiped she's just a baby." He explained.

"Okay less talky let's go!" I shouted.

"You can drive we'll count it as a driving test." He joked, I looked at him with a serious face. I climbed into my teeny pink Fiat Punto; we got it from Cameron's mate at a bargain priced at fifty quid for once luck. In a rush I put on my seatbelt unfortunately they weren't pink, everything else was though. All I need to be now is a princess; well I did have that chance with Charlie but didn't take it. It's so nice to be back with Cameron.

* * *

Down at the hospital I was getting into an nurse outfit as Cameron printed out a badge so I can assist when my Gran gets born; the woman who was having my Gran was probably about twenty-ish her husband had passed away a month ago and she was now expected to be a single widowed mum.

As much as I wanted to see my grandma born I wouldn't dare to look from where she was coming out from. I blocked my pounding ears as she screamed and screamed; vaguely reassured by silence only broken by a cute babies tingling cry I spun around grabbed a blanket and wrapped it loosely around Grandma.

"I think we'll call her Leila." She whispered and stroked Grans hairless head. Jeez I miss her old self her old creases and silver hair so beautiful an iron would ruin her.

"Okay Nurse Shannon your assistance is no longer needed." Shannon was my fake nurse name. Even though Gran wasn't anything like she used to be but I still felt a bonding connection.

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"For letting me see this sweet child." "Good luck with your baby." I smiled. I headed out of the door a tear rolled down my face leaving a slug like trail that intersected my mouth and tasted like salted water.