Chapter 53: Warsan & Uthman, Sitting In A Tree

In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

If the time of prayer has been called and you haven't prayed before reading this, please do so.

A/N; Warning! Long Chapter Ahead 🤍

Warsan's P.O.V

The car ride home was completely silent. Junaid drove the two of us home, and I kept my face turned away, focusing on the snowflakes that made their home against my window. Once he parked the car in the driveway he turned to face me. 'I can't believe the guy.' He sighed. 'So selfless.' He added.

I bit my lip and pressed my head against the glass. I could feel the cold through my hijab. 'Yeah.' I forced myself to say. I could feel my brother's eyes on me.

'What are you going to do?' He asked. I bit my lip, for the billionth time that night.

'I'm going to get it over with.' I returned. I'd speak to Uthman once and for all. Although I was so sure that things were done with Uthman and me, Laith wasn't wrong. I would entertain the idea of what if for the rest of my life...

Alhamdullilah, a few days went by after what felt like forever, and here I sat in the corner of the neighborhood library. It was pretty empty if I didn't count the four kids running around playing tag. They would've bothered the old me, but I was surprised to realize that I actually enjoyed seeing them having fun. One of the children, a girl, ran past my table and caught my eye. She blushed, dashing away quickly. The image of Laith chasing after her and lifting her in the air appeared in my mind. I blushed too, dashing away from the thought. A small smile escaped me, joining the butterflies in my stomach. I couldn't believe I was even feeling this way. I've never felt this way! My small moment of happiness was interrupted by Junaid clearing his throat a few tables behind me. I turned my head and saw Uthman walking towards our corner of the library. Immediately, the warmth I felt disappeared. I sighed and turned back around. I was here for a reason. I had to remind myself of that.

Uthman greeted my brother, who played the role of my chaperone on this winter night. Laith set this evening up and we all came to play our role in ending this feud. The two conversed awkwardly before he shuffled towards my table. I looked up at him as he smiled down at me. I forced a smile back. He rubbed his palms against his thobe and sat across from me. I watched him as he gulped. 'Assalamu'alaykum.' He said. I returned the greeting politely. He looked downwards trying to come up with something to say. I took this time to study him. I remembered how I felt when he greeted me in the grocery store a long while back. He had been carrying a heavy bag of frozen shrimp against his fractured arm. I had been so shy. There was a drastic change of feeling from then and now. It felt like I was speaking to any other guy. Boring and time-consuming. Okay, that was a bit mean. I just can't help it! With a sigh, I volunteered to begin the conversation.

'So you wanted to speak to me?'

He nodded quickly, almost as if he wanted me to start talking. 'Yes, yes.'

There was a silence. I waited for him to continue.

He didn't.

'About?' I pushed, growing a bit impatient. His silence and lack of initiative was the exact thing that made me fall out of love with him. It brought back unpleasant feelings, to say the least.

He was silent. I blinked a few times, in shock. The clock hanging on the wall to my right filled the air with the sound of its clicks. It spoke more than he did.

Tik... tok... tik... tok... tik... tok... tik... tok... tik-

'Marriage.' He blurted. I nodded apprehensively, dreading the night already.