Chapter 15 - Distracting Dawud

In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

If the time of prayer has been called and you haven't prayed before reading this, please do so.

***

Muna's P.O.V

'Can't you do this for me?' I implored, kneading at the dough before me. 'I'm making your favorite dessert!'

'Cranberry pie?' Akhlaaq guessed eagerly.

'Yes.'

He took a moment to think. 'Habibti this all sounds so mysterious. You're telling me not to watch Channel 6, and to make sure Dawud doesn't watch Channel 6 either.' He explained. 'You know what this sounds like? It sounds like you and Jannah have a secret reality show called 'Fooling our Husbands' where you go on secret road trips and have the time of your lives.' Akhlaaq told me. I stopped kneading the dough and began to wonder what it was that told me it would be a good idea to marry such a goof. 'Your silence is affirming my theory.'

I clicked my tongue in annoyance. 'Why would that play on the news, Akhlaaq? Anyways, that's beside the point. I'll tell you but you can't tell a soul! I really didn't want to but I guess now you've given me no choice - questioning what I do in my free time and all.' I complained. I really hope this didn't snowball into a bigger problem.

Akhlaaq's P.O.V

I called for Dawud and waited patiently by the counter. He appeared after a few minutes from his office upstairs. 'Hello.' I said.

Dawud smiled, moving hair out of his face. 'You're such a goof, Akhlaaq.'

I raised both hands innocently, shaking my head. 'All I want to do is greet a fellow brother of mine. Is that so wrong?' I asked him. Forgive me Muna, I thought. I was terrible at acting.

Dawud sighed, taking a few more steps towards me. 'We just had lunch together fifteen minutes ago. This is like my sixth time seeing you today.'

I bit my lip and changed the subject. 'What are you doing upstairs? Have you finished filling out your tax forms?'

Dawud nodded and pulled out his phone from his pocket. 'Just watching some TV and shredding old documents.' My stomach dropped. Watching TV? We couldn't have that. My cranberry pie was at stake. Oh, Jannah and Dawud's marriage too. That was more important than pie... right?

'Can you help me with cash?' I asked without thinking. Dawud looked around the store, taking in the vacant space around us. 'It gets really crowded at this time, bro. I'm not sure if I have the mental capacity to deal with it today.' I added in panic.

'It's Wednesday afternoon. We're lucky if we get 10 customers after twelve, Akhlaaq.' Dawud said flatly. He stared at me for some time, cocking his head to read my eyes. 'What has gotten into you? The last time you asked for help at cash was when we were eighteen and you had to use the bathroom because your parent's house was being renovated.'

'N-nothing, Akhi. Just forget about it.' I finally said, defeated.

Dawud stayed put. I felt his eyes burning into me. 'What is it? What is wrong?' He urged.

'Just stay here for a bit okay? I need the company.' I told him quietly. Dawud nodded understandingly and came around the counter. He sat at the chair next to the cash register and stretched out his fingers. 'Astaghfirullah, Astaghfirullah, Astaghfirullah...' He said thirty-three times. 'Subhan'Allah, Subhan'Allah, Subhan'Allah...' He also said thirty-three times. 'Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar...' Dawud repeated 34 times. When he was finished, he rose to his feet. 'Sorry man. I really have to finish shredding those documents. I've got a conference call in ten minutes and can't afford to lose any more time.'

My heart began to race in the fabric of my knit sweater. I gripped the edge of the counter and couldn't help but nod. What more could I do? He was the CEO. Getting him to stop working was as hard as getting the laziest person you know to start working. I knew that he had to put twice as much effort in his job than he did when his father was around. But what about Jannah? What about Muna? And what about my cranberry pie? 'Alright.' I blurted involuntarily. My insides were screaming as he tapped the desk one last time before disappearing behind the bookshelves. I tried my best. I really tried my best. I even let go of my dignity... my cashier-pride and asked for some help. Somethings are just out of hand.

What I could do was follow him upstairs and see what show he is so keen on watching. If he wasn't watching Channel 6, there wouldn't be any harm in letting him be.

I scolded myself for leaving the cash register unattended as I crept slowly up the stairs to his office. His door was wide open and within seconds I saw Jannah's nervous smile appear after Laith's short and brief screen-time. He was watching Channel 6. He was watching OTV's interview with Jannah's team. Dawud saw it all.

I took note of the clenching of his fist. The twisting of his face and the plump tears that swelled up and fell from his eyes. Knowing Dawud as well as I did, my heart broke upon the sight of it.

Jannah's P.O.V

I shut the door and slipped off my shoes. Dawud's sneakers were kicked messily by the corner of the shelf, which was unlike him. Hanging my jacket on the rack, I took note of his coat being cast on the floor. I really didn't want to see him. When Muna told me he saw the interview I had to rush to the washroom at work and vomit. It pained me to upset him. By Allāh, there was nothing I hated more than Dawud's frown but I was the one who caused it this time. It was me.

I entered the living room with caution and found it to be vacant. The kitchen, prayer room and washroom were empty as well, telling me the bedroom was where he was. I opened the door quietly and took note of his long figure under the thick sheets of our bed. After praying my salah and freshening up, I slipped under the covers as well. His right foot was jittering, letting me know that he was awake.

I sat up and inhaled deeply. 'Dawud-' I was cut off by his sharp tone.

'Don't, Jannah. I don't want to say something I'll regret.'

I bit my lip. I don't know why but tears welled up in my eyes, blurring my sight. Being spoken to harshly by Dawud was a feeling incredibly foreign to me. I never thought I'd see the day...

After a few seconds, he rose to his feet and took a blanket from the closet. He returned back to the bed and grabbed his pillow too. Dawud's hair was a mess, thrown in this direction and that direction. His shoulders were slumped and his skin was pale. Those pink lips were pulled downwards and didn't waver once. Eyes locked to the floor, he spoke with a shaky voice. 'I'm going to sleep in the living room. Let me know if you need anything.'

He shut the bedroom door and left, taking all my happiness and content with him. I'm not sure if it was his politeness that had me weeping uncontrollably, or if it was the fact that I was the reason for his sharp tone. Either way, the strings of my heart snapped. My very being caved in on itself and I shook from my core. My mother said this morning upon visiting me that marriages had their ups and downs. And I was well aware that Dawud and I always tried to overcome our downs. It's just that this time... I don't know why I couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel. Happy twentieth birthday, I thought to myself. What a way to blow it.