Chapter 33 - Basketball Practice

In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

If the time of prayer has been called and you haven't prayed before reading this, please do so.

***

Warsan's P.O.V

I stepped out of Junaid's car and was engulfed in the harsh winter cold. It rippled through my jacket, causing me to hold the fabric close against me. My brother was at my side in only a few seconds, rubbing his palms together frantically. 'Subhan'Allah, it is freezing today.' He whispered between breaths. I nodded in concession. My younger brother Hamza trailed closely behind, whining in the background. We hastened towards the community center hoping to flee the cold. 'Quick, quick, quick!' He ushered me and Hamza into the front doors.

Instantaneously, we were smothered in warm air. I sighed deeply, removing my mitts. 'You guys should just cancel basketball practice on days like this.' I told him. He shook the snow off his jacket and rolled his eyes. My younger brother agreed.

'Trust me, I tried to. Do you think I enjoyed the drive over here? We were sliding on every turn!' Junaid groaned, dropping his gym bag at his feet. 'Laith refused to cancel practice today. And I think it's obvious why.'

I thought for a moment, puzzled. The answer wasn't that clear to me. 'Uhm, not really. Why would he want to leave his house in this weather?'

My brother watched me with noiseless eyes. 'You're a lost cause, Warsan.' He blurted. I scoffed, offended by his blunt honesty.

'Whatever!' I shouted over my shoulder, making my way into the gym. My brothers headed toward the changeroom.

'What did you mean by that, Junaid?' I could hear Hamza ask before I disappeared behind the gym doors.

My friends were sitting where they always do, up at the top. I climbed the bleachers, cautiously. They greeted me with excited expressions. 'Assalamu'Alaykum girls.'

'Wa Alaykum salam.' They responded. Jannah nudged me with her elbow.

'I'm surprised you came today.' She said with a sparkle in her eye.

Well, they didn't give me much of a choice! My friends harassed me through every social media platform to show up today. They called it the Coin Project. Uthman being one side of a coin and Laith being the other. And in their overly optimistic and unrealistic minds, today would be the basketball practice that threw the coin in the air, leaving the final result to fate. It was a game to them, but this time I didn't get upset or annoyed like I usually would. I watched as they giggle and grabbed one another in excitement. It made me happy that they were so invested in this little storyline they've created. But I, on the other hand, couldn't care any less.

That was because my feelings never wavered. I liked Uthman for many different reasons. Although I never really vocalized my feelings, he stood out to me like a lighthouse in the night. He was different. Calm, collected, smart, and serious. I also liked how private he was. That was my favorite thing about him. But, as I said before, no one knew this. And I wasn't as open or public about my feelings like my friends were. So I laughed at the way they squinted their eyes, comparing the two boys. I followed their gaze to the court.

Laith blew a whistle, gathering up all the boys in a circle. 'Today, we are going to play a game called Categories.' He proclaimed. 'Dawud, pick a subject for me.' He passed the ball to Jannah's husband, who reflected for a moment.

'European cities.' He chimed with a grin. The younger boys groaned as the mentors chuckled at Dawud's silly suggestion. The gym filled with protests before Laith took ahold of the ball again.

'It's not that hard!' He urged passionately. His enthusiasm took me by surprise. I always painted him in a negative light but now he seemed more normal... more human. Like everyone else in this gym.

'If it's so easy, why don't you guys play this round?' One of the younger boys suggested accusingly.

'Boys, and their egos.' I sighed, pulling out my phone. Jannah and Muna chuckled.

'I have hope that Akhlaaq is too smart to fall for this trick.' Muna said happily. Jannah agreed, wishing the same on Dawud.

To my surprise, all but Junaid agreed within seconds. The men unintentionally puffed their chests out with pride. Dawud, Laith, Akhlaaq, and Uthman wrestled for the ball before creating a wide circle. The younger boys sat around them excitedly, both out of surprise and excitement. Jannah and Muna gawked at the sight in front of them. I rolled my eyes. 'Just as I thought.' I piped.

Uthman held the ball and prepared to shout out the first city. He sported a red and white basketball jersey and long shorts that reached below his knees. The colours complemented his skin tone nicely. I looked down as my cheeks rose in temperature. Muna stretched her arm over Jannah's lap and poked my shoulder jokingly. I looked up, hoping no one saw, but just as I had feared, Laith's gaze met my own. I panicked.

'Oh my god.' I muttered with my eyes shut.

'Paris!' Uthman shouted.

Jannah gasped softly. 'Warsan did you just lock eyes with-'

'Yes, I did.' I answered, shrinking into myself.

'London!' Dawud yelled next, tossing the ball to Akhlaaq.

'So...he saw that?' Muna panicked.

'Milan.' Akhlaaq passed the ball over to Junaid.

'Rome?' Junaid blurted with a smile, throwing the basketball over to Laith.

'Uh....um...Warsan!' He roared, freeing his hands of the ball within seconds. Dawud caught it with a shocked look. My eyes widened with surprise as all five mentors looked up at the bleachers. Jannah clutched my hand. The gym fell silent. Laith coughed and laughed sheepishly. 'I meant Warsaw. It's... it's the capital of Poland.' He blurted frantically.

The little boys laughed happily, rejoicing in Laith's loss, oblivious to the truth behind his mistake. None of them knew my name, except for my younger brother Hamza who watched Laith curiously. 'I guess I'm out.' He chuckled, scratching his neck awkwardly.