Chapter 19

Author's Note: It's been a hot minute. I had some personal things going on in my life which led me to be extremely busy. Once I wasn't, I had no idea where to take this story. I didn't want to come up with whatever because y'all don't deserve a crappy chapter. So, a BIG apology for keeping y'all waiting. I hope y'all enjoy this chapter!

***

Chris parked his truck and began walking towards Y/N's house. A loud crash made him stop in his tracks. He quickly ran towards the barn, hoping Y/N didn't get hurt. His chest rose up and down quickly when he stopped in the middle of the barn and saw Carter picking up the buckets she seemed to have knocked down.

"You scared the hell out of me," Chris said. He grabbed her shoulders, stopping her from picking up the buckets, and inspected her for any injuries. "Are you alright?"

She rolled her eyes and nodded. "I'm fine. I just accidentally tripped over the shovel and it knocked down all these buckets. I hate that I'm so clumsy."

Chris heard a small hint of hate in her voice. Something was on her mind. He grabbed the bucket from her hands. "Hey, what's wrong?"

Her eyes welled up and shrugged her shoulders. "Nothing." Chris gave her a stern look, one that said, 'liar! Start talking'. "It just sucks, okay? Mom literally hasn't gotten out of bed since last night with the stupid phone call grandma made. I don't know how to help her. I feel horrible that I can't even cheer up my own mother."

"Hey," Chris spoke softly. "How would you feel if a girl suddenly called or showed up at your doorstep and said, 'Your dad is also my dad. You're my sister.'?"

Carter glared at him. "I hate when you do this."

Chris fought back a smile. "Do what?"

"Make me understand."

Despite the situation, Chris chuckled lightly and wrapped his arm around her shoulder. "I'm just trying to make you see it from her point of view." He took a deep breath. "What your mom is going through is something no one expected, especially her. She always saw her parents as a role model for a good and happy marriage. That's all gone now."

"I know and it sucks. I feel bad for her, but I know if anyone can cheer her up, it's you, Chris."

"Oh, I don't know about that, kiddo," Chris let out a deep sigh. "While I was working on fixing the fence on my farm, something dawned on me. Another thing got tainted with the news Y/N got last night and I don't know how to make it better. I don't know how to fix it."

Carter began to feel nervous. She swallowed hard. "You're not.... Leaving are you?" Her voice had turned into a whisper by the end of her question.

"What?! No! I love you both too much to walk away, okay? Carter," he grabbed her shoulders and looked straight at her. "I'm not going anywhere. You're stuck with me, kiddo."

Carter shook her head. "Okay, I'm sorry. This whole thing has me on edge and I don't know how to deal with the emotions, how to process this, and- it's a lot for a teenager."

"It is," Chris agreed. "And I'm always here if you want to talk to me about it."

"I know. And thanks," Carter said before she gave him a quick hug. She pulled back and remembered something. "Wait. What did you figure out while working today?" She asked.

"Your mom will never admit this, but I think this whole situation is harder than we think because the summer that started her parents' failed marriage is the same summer your mom and I fell in love. It's like our love story - and our wonderful memories - will forever be tainted now knowing her father was having an affair and having another daughter."