Chapter 9

Author's Note: Not really a warning other than I'm sorry I'm making Lisa a cruel mom. I hate portraying my mother-in-law this way, but I'm just trying to create a storyline that's different from all the other Chris Evans fanfiction y'all read. I hope y'all enjoy this new chapter!

***

Chris kicked a rock as he saw Y/N speed out of his driveway. "Fuck," he cursed under his breath. He walked back into his house, furious.

His mom, Lisa, sat there as if nothing had happened. She was reading the paper as she sipped on her coffee.

"What the hell, ma?!"

"Language," she put down the paper. "That's no way to talk to your mother."

"What is wrong with you?" He rephrased the question. His muscles were tense. He took a deep breath. "Why did you say those lies-"

"I didn't lie. I don't like her and I have no doubt she'll ruin your life again and leave the pieces for me to pick up again."

Her words triggered a memory Chris often pushed back and tried to forget.

"I have a plate for you on the table," Lisa smiled as Chris walked into the house.

"I'm not hungry." He took off his dirty boots by the door and hung his cowboy hat on the coat rack mounted on the wall. "I'm going to take a shower."

"Chris! You've been working all day in the sun! You really should eat!" She shouted as Chris climbed up the stairs two at a time.

"I'm not hungry!" He shouted back again before he slammed this bedroom door.

About 20 minutes later, Lisa knocked on Chris's bedroom door. She heard a mumble that sounded like 'come in'. She opened the door to see her son in bed. He sat up and batted his eyes before wiping his cheeks. She sighed as she sat on the edge of his bed.

"Honey, it's been almost a month since Y/N left." At the sound of her name, a pain shot through his broken heart. "I know you're hurting, baby, but you knew this was going to happen."

"I know mom, but it doesn't mean it hurts any less," he said sadly. "I love her and it's hard."

Lisa tried her best not to roll her eyes. "Honey, you're only 19. You're too young to know what love is. What y'all had was a summer fling. Almost a puppy love kind of love," she reached for his hand, but Chris pulled away from her.

"You don't know how I feel mom. I'm telling you I love her and if it wasn't for this stupid farm holding me back, I would have left with her."

"She's a city girl. Girls like her don't belong in our country life," she shook her head. "You have a responsibility to your family and our farm. She doesn't get that. That's why she left."

Chris shook his head, trying to fight the angry tears forming in his eyes. "She left because she has big dreams and I love her enough to not hold her back unlike some people."

His words definitely hurt her but she didn't let him see it. "You'll find a country girl someday and you'll be happy. The happiest you'll ever be and you'll thank me for it," she said as she walked out of his bedroom.

"I doubt it," Chris mumbled to himself as she closed the door behind him. "You just wait and see, what's meant to be will always find its way back."

"She didn't break my heart. I broke her heart," Chris admitted.

"Don't let her take the blame for something you didn't-"

"I'm the one that stopped calling. I stopped writing letters. I cut her off because I loved her too much to prevent her from living her best life," Chris's eyes welled up with hot tears. "You're right about one thing, I would have moved and followed her anywhere she went because I loved her that much. But, I didn't because she deserved better than some small-time farmer without a college degree."

"You're not meant to be with a city girl like her. You're meant to be with a small town southern girl. Someone who also loves the country life," Lisa said. "Someone like Jenny, I loved her. I ran into her at the store the other day. You really should call her and work things out with her."

Chris scoffed. "Do you even know why she left me at the altar? Because I'm not in love with her. I love Y/N," Chris said without letting his mom answer his question. "She knew I'm still in love with Y/N."

Lisa shook her head. "You don't know what love is."

"Mom," Chris locked his eyes with his mom's and said seriously, "don't make me choose between the two of you because this time I'm choosing her."

***

An hour later, Chris walked up to Y/N's front door. Carter had been in the kitchen when he heard his truck pull up. She opened the door for him before he knocked on it.

"Hey, kiddo, how is she?" Chris asked, worriedly.

Carter shook her head. "Not good. She hasn't stopped crying." Her eyes welled up. "You promised," she whispered.

"I know," he sighed heavily. "I didn't know that was going to happen with my mom, but we don't have to worry about her anymore, okay?" He asked. He pulled her in for a hug. "I'm gonna fix this with your mom."

"Okay," she mumbled before she led him to Y/N's bedroom. She knocked softly on the door and opened it for Chris. She closed it and left them alone.

"Carter, I just want to be left alone," Y/N sniffled. "Please."

Chris sat on the end of the bed before taking off his boots. He laid down and rolled to his side. Her back was facing him. He slung his arm around her waist.

She gasped. She wanted to turn around and see Chris, but he prevented her from doing that as he tightened his grip on her and pressed her back to his chest. "Honey, I'm so sorry," he whispered before he buried his nose in her hair, taking in the sweet strawberry scent of her shampoo.

She turned around to see him, warm tears in her eyes. "Chris, I'm sorry. I had no idea that's how your mom felt and I want you to know I would never hold you back from anything you wanted. I want you to chase and follow your dreams whatever they may be and I promise-"

Chris crashed his lips against hers, silencing her from her rambling. Y/N hesitated for a second before she kissed him back, tears slowly fell down her cheeks as she closed her eyes. Chris cupped her cheek as he kissed her passionately, reassuring her of his love. He pulled back carefully and pecked her lips softly. "My dream is you. You are it, okay? You and Carter. You guys are my family. My dream." He looked deep into her eyes. His thumb brushed her cheek, wiping the tears away. "I don't care what my mom says."

She shook her head. "I don't want to come between you two. I know how important she is to you."

"I love her, but I love you more, Y/N," Chris said truthfully. Y/N saw the seriousness in his eyes. He was not backing down. " I just got you back and I sure as hell I'm not going to lose you again. No matter what my mom says."