Chapter 3 - New Civilization

1 Week Later

After another long week Adam and Elliot were about to get to Vancouver. Adam was super excited, thinking that all of it would be "over" and they could go on with their lives as usual. Well... not as usual, but at least with more people.

Meanwhile, Elliot wasn't so excited. The last thing he wanted was to go to prison. He wondered if this "new civilization" had a prison or even a jail, he really hoped not. He also wondered if he should ask Adam to don't send him to jail when they got there but he quickly realized there was no use in it. Not only he was too proud to ask but he also already knew the answer. He wondered again if he should try to run away, but he also knew that Adam would catch him again and he problably wouldn't be so nice if that happened.

They were walking side by side when they saw a green, big sign at the edge of the road where they could read "Welcome to Vancouver". When Elliot saw that sign something snapped inside of him and he realized that very, very soon he could be thrown in a prison cell or, who knows, maybe even killed! But... Adam wouldn't let that happen, right?

He started walking slower, anyway. Deep down he still hoped it was all a lie and that there was no new civilization at all. He didn't want to spend the rest of his life like a captive animal.

-Why are you slowing down? - Adam asked, impatiently.

Elliot forced himself to look at the ground, he was afraid of what Adam could do if he realized that Elliot was afraid.

-Just tired. - he lied.

-You're always tired. - Adam sighed. - Come on, keep moving. We still have to search through the town.

Elliot struggled to push the fear away and faced up again.

-Fine. Just keep walking, I'll follow you. - he mumbled.

Adam lifted his eyebrow slightly but ignored the british man's weird behavior. He kept walking, although he could feel some tiredness himself there was no way he was going to stop now. Elliot followed him quietly.

For several miles all that could be heard were their steps and breaths. Adam was kind of surprised by how quiet Elliot was, it really wasn't normal and it made him wonder if something was wrong with him. Wanting or not, after spending some weeks with him he had gotten attached to the youngest man. He really, really didn't want to but Elliot just didn't have any weird, psychopathic behavior. Maybe he wasn't that bad as Adam first thought, maybe... just maybe, it could all have been a big missunderstood and Elliot could be innocent... but he could also be dangerously wrong about that and the last thing he wanted was to wake up with a knife on his stomach some day because he had trusted Elliot, or even worst: don't wake up at all.

He, at last, decided to ignore it. It was kind of a relief that Elliot was quiet now and he could get some time to rest his ears.

They walked around the city for hours with no stopping. At this point both of them were exhausted and their feet hurted. They had found nothing, not a civilization, not a house that wasn't destroyed and abandoned, not even a person.

-We've been walking all day and we found nothing! - Elliot complained. - It's been hours, Adam, come on! I'm exhausted...

-So am I, but we won't stop! We have to find it, fucking hell! - Adam snapped.

-How do we even know if that shit is real? - Elliot grunted. - You heard that stupid radio message, like, months ago and since then we had completely nothing!

Adam pulled him close by his collar.

-I don't fucking care, we'll keep looking! - Adam growled as he pushed Elliot to keep walking.