Chapter 11 - New Home

They walked for around 20 minutes. With their eyes covered, they couldn't know the way but around 7 minutes before stopping they started to hear voices. Gasps, whispers and breaths that didn't come from the men holding them. That had to mean that there were more people, a real Indian tribe.

When they stopped they were forced to their knees. The first one to have his eyes uncovered was Elliot. The first thing he saw was a middle aged man. He was sitting on a... kind of throne. They were inside a house. The whole house was made out of wooden planks with some very simple windows. There wasn't much furniture, pretty much just the throne and a big, red, circular carpet at the man's feet. Elliot looked up at the man. He was dark skinned as well, his hair was short and grey-ish (there were still some traces of black hair), he carried a big hat made out of feathers and had some painted abstract forms all over his cheeks and forehead. As for clothes: a toga. A dirty white toga along with sandals. Now, this didn't look very indigenous. It looked Greek.

Elliot looked to his side and saw that Adam also had, had his eyes uncovered, and was looking around as if studying everything.

-Who are you? What are you doing in this forest? - the man asked in a perfect american accent.

His expression was... hard to read. Elliot wasn't sure if he was hostile or gentle and Adam didn't seem to have a clue either.

-We just came here looking for food... - Elliot justified. - We're two survivours, I'm Elliot and this is Adam.

The man stood still for a bit before doing a little sign for the "guards" to lift them up and free them.

-Who are you? - Adam asked to the man.

-My name is Daniel. I, as you, also am a survivour. - the man introduced himself as he stood up. - Did you two come from the United States?

Elliot and Adam nodded in synchrony.

-After surviving the war and... the "end of the world", I decided to come south as well. I also lived in America, for several years, I was a translator. I brought everyone I could find with me from America, every race, every religion, every gender. We started a new, improved comunity. - the man took a break on his explanation to look Elliot up and down. - Now you two tell me your real story, no need to fear me, I guarantee you. We are all very peaceful here.

Elliot and Adam exchanged a quick look. Elliot had the impression that Daniel knew who he was.

-I was a cop... - Adam started. - And after the war I met Elliot and we walked through most of the continent... we started by going to Canada and then came all the way south.

-And what did you do, before the war? - Daniel asked Elliot.

-I... was unemployed. - Elliot answered. It wasn't really a lie.

-Mhm... - Daniel hummed. - Well, I was always a man of believing in second chances. - he said, comfirming Elliot's suspicions. Now he was sure that Daniel knew. - You two are welcome to join our community, if you want to. It just works like this: there is not a president, nor a king, nor a dictator. There is only a counsil who makes the big decisions around here. Nothing you two should worry about. I am simply the founder of the community, I have no more power than any other person in here. We all are able to share out opinion and vision, we all have the same rights and the same obligations. If you decide to join us, you shall follow our ways. You're free to behave as you want as long as you have no bad intentions and no hate. You can always refuse our offer, as well, and you'll receive your belongings and leave. Do you understand?

Elliot and Adam nodded slightly.

-What are you going to do? - Daniel finally asked.

Elliot and Adam exchanged glances again but none of them answered right away.