15 | the bad boy consoles

15

the bad boy consoles

IT WAS EVENING when Akari heard the garage door behind her open. She had successfully avoided him for the past hours ever since that happened. She was more lugubrious than she had been in the evening and distracted herself by scrolling through her Instagram feed and liking pictures randomly even though her mind was elsewhere.

"Hey Akari," Julian began, wiping his hands on a rag. "So, the issue with the Mustang was in the ignition system. Specifically, the ignition coil was on the fritz. It's a crucial component responsible for sending voltage to the spark plugs, and when it malfunctions, the engine struggles to start."

"Ok..." Akari gulped, trying to understand but it was hard with her science-oriented brain. But, he did look hot speaking so confidently about something he was passionate about.

"I swapped out the faulty ignition coil with a new one. Now, your Mustang should have a steady spark, ensuring proper combustion and a smoother start. You should be good to go!"

"You fixed it? In a day?" She was gobsmacked and couldn't believe it.

"Yes," Julian said, taking the bottle in front of him as he opened the cap, "It's fixed. It just needs petrol and you can take it for a run."

"Thank you." Akari said softly, shrinking back in her seat because now she didn't know what to do.

The Mustang is fixed.

It's over.

It's done.

But, why isn't Akari feeling any better than before? She felt confused because she never thought she would ever be able to fix the Mustang, but it's now done and Akari felt extremely befuddled with this new situation that she didn't plan on ever happening soon.

"Is that Mustang your Dad's?" Julian spoke, breaking the wreck inside her mind as she looked at him, a direct question coming straight for her.

"Yes." Akari whispered, calming down a little now that it's out. She could feel Julian coming closer to her, and she could see that he never took his eyes off of her, to know if she was alright with this subject.

"He called it 'Ruby'," The words tumbled out of her mouth even before she could stop herself and she sat up straight on the couch, eyes looking at him. "That Mustang was the reason my parents met," Akari let the words go on and she waited for Julian to say something.

"I would like to know more if you want to tell me," Julian spoke cautiously and Akari couldn't help but let out a small smile at the way he was so hesitant and worried for her, to make sure she doesn't get hurt. Because of that, she relaxed, hushing her mind off of senseless thoughts.

It's just Julian. Julian Jones. He's harmless.

"My mom was the daughter of a car repair shop owner." Akari started, looking at Julian who shifted himself to face her direction, looking immediately interested. "My dad wanted to fix his newly bought Mustang. He got into a minor accident. He came to the shop. Saw Mom. Fell in love at first sight." Akari smiled, shaking her head at the story that has been told to her so many times. "After seeing Mom, he came to the repair shop so many times after, just to woo her and by the time she started doubting how the man could get into so many accidents with his Mustang, she fell in love too. They both got together after that." Akari's eyes were distant as if she was picturing the scenario in her head. It was silly yet so lovely.

"I'm guessing your mom's Japanese," Julian raised his eyebrows.

"Correct," Akari nodded. "Got all the looks from my Dad and the personality from my Mom," She shrugged.