Chapter 5: Jet

Several days later, Katara, Sokka and Aang found themselves in a massive forest of autumn trees. They decided to set up camp for the night. Unfortunately, the travelers would soon discover that the forest was not safe. The Fire Nation had set traps in snare plants to capture anyone who dared explore. It wasn't long before Momo got caught in one of these traps! Aang and the others quickly freed the little lemur as well as two hog monkeys who had also been captured. The animals had all been lured into these traps by a trail of lychee nuts used for bait. Sokka decided that it was time to break camp and set off again on foot.

SOKKA: I know you all wanna fly, but my instincts tell me we should play it safe this time and walk.

KATARA: Who made you the boss?

SOKKA: I'm not the boss, I'm the leader!

KATARA: You're the leader?! (Scoffs) If anyone's the leader, it's Aang. I mean, he is the Avatar.

SOKKA: Are you kidding?! He's just a goofy kid!

AANG: He's right.

SOKKA: Look, my instincts tell me we have a better chance of slipping through on foot. And a leader has to trust his instincts.

KATARA: (Sarcastically) Okay, we'll try it your way, oh wise leader.

AANG: Who knows? Walking might be fun.

Unfortunately walking through the forest turned out to be anything but fun, and Aang quickly came to regret it. So did Katara, even though Sokka insisted that this was for their own good — especially if it meant the Fire Nation wouldn't notice them.

Before long, the children soon came across a Fire Nation campsite! Spotting the three of them, the soldiers at the camp advanced. Aang, Katara, and Sokka tried to escape, but were soon cut off by both the soldiers as well as a firebender.

Just when it seemed like they done for, a teenage boy wielding a pair of hook swords bounded down from a tree and overtook their captors, knocking them cold. He was soon followed by a pack of other rebels — tall and robust, small and quick, agile and in shape. They pounced, tackled, and shot arrows at the soldiers. Katara and Aang joined in the fight, bending water and wind at the troops, while another soldier charged Sokka. But as he held up his boomerang to defend himself, the teenage rebel took him down in no time.

SOKKA: Hey! He was mine!

JET: (Cooly) Gotta be quicker next time.

Finally, the Fire Nation soldiers were all defeated, thanks to the help of this young rebel and his allies. The newcomer introduced himself.

JET: My name is Jet, and these are my Freedom Fighters: Sneers, Longshot, Smellerbee, The Duke, and Pipsqueak.

The Freedom Fighters all seemed very genial. Aang was delighted to make friends with them. As the Freedom Fighters raided the now empty camp, Katara, who had never met someone as handsome or charming as Jet, thanked him for coming to their aid.

JET: I should be thanking you. We were waiting to ambush those soldiers all morning. We just needed the right distraction, and then you guys stumbled in.

KATARA: (Dryly) We were relying on instincts.

JET: You'll get yourself killed doing that.

Sokka frowned, greatly annoyed by their words.

Meanwhile, two of Jet's allies, the tiny Duke and Pipsqueak, who was surprisingly bulky, both found valuable prizes in the camp.