Chapter 10: The Siege of the North

The next morning at the Northern Water Tribe, Aang resumed training with Master Pakku. This time the old man was far less critical of his efforts.

PAKKU: Not bad, not bad. (Chuckling) Keep practicing and maybe you'll get it by the time you're my age.

And before long, a new student joined Aang's class.

AANG: Hey, Katara! Good to see you here.

KATARA: You, too.

As the days passed, Katara concentrated, and soon became Pakku's prized pupil. In fact, she soon surpassed all of her classmates.

PAKKU: Katara, you've advanced more quickly than any student I've ever trained. You have proven that with fierce determination, passion, and hard work, you can accomplish anything.

Aang was very pleased that things had worked out so well for him and Katara.

And what about Sokka? He was taking Yue for a ride on Appa. Both had decided to be "just friends"... even though deep down, Yue and Sokka still had strong feelings for each other. But their outing soon came to an abrupt end when they spotted black particles dropping from the sky onto the snow.

SOKKA: I've seen it before, right before my village was attacked. It's soot mixed with snow.

YUE: But why?

SOKKA: It's the Fire Nation. And from the looks of this stuff, I'd say there's a lot of 'em.

The Fire Nation fleet was indeed approaching. Standing proudly on the deck of his command ship, Admiral Zhao spoke with Iroh.

ZHAO: This will truly be one for the history books, General Iroh. Just think—centuries from now, people will study the great Admiral Zhao, who destroyed the last of the Water Tribe civilization. You're lucky you're here to see it.

IROH: Be careful what you wish for, Admiral. History is not always kind to its subjects.

ZHAO: I suppose you speak from experience, but rest assured. This will be nothing like your legendary failure at Ba Sing Se.

IROH: I hope not, for your sake.

When the Northern Water Tribe received word about the approaching Fire Nation, the people rushed toward the town hall. Sokka was escorting the princess there, too, but suddenly, Yue backed away.

YUE: I can't see you anymore. Not at all.

SOKKA: What?! We're just friends.

YUE: I wish we could just be friends, but I like you too much and it's too confusing to be around you. I'm marrying someone else!

SOKKA: You don't love him, do you? You don't even seem to like him.

YUE: But I do love my people.

SOKKA: You're not marrying them!

YUE: You don't understand. I have duties to my father—to my tribe. I have to do this. Goodbye.

Sokka watched sadly as she fled. Then he joined Katara and Aang as they gathered with the rest of the people in the town hall. Chief Arnook addressed them.

ARNOOK: The day we have feared for so long has arrived. The Fire Nation is on our doorstep. It is with great sadness I call my family here before me, knowing well that some of these faces are about to vanish from our tribe. But they will never vanish from our hearts. Now, as we approach the battle for our existence, I call upon the great spirits! Spirit of the Ocean, Spirit of the Moon, be with us! I'm going to need volunteers for a dangerous mission.