Chapter 3: The Southern Air Temple

Crossing through a sea of clouds on Appa's back, Katara, Sokka, and Aang came in sight of the Patola Mountain Range. In the distance was the Southern Air Temple, where Aang once lived. He couldn't wait to give his friends a tour of his home, but Katara wasn't so sure.

KATARA: Aang, before we get to the temple, I want to talk to you about the airbenders.

AANG: What about 'em?

KATARA: Well, I just want you to be prepared for what you might see. The Fire Nation is ruthless. They killed my mother, and they could have done the same to your people.

AANG: Just because no one has seen an airbender doesn't mean the Fire Nation killed them all. They probably escaped!

KATARA: I know it's hard to accept.

AANG: You don't understand, Katara. The only way to get to an airbender temple is on a flying bison, and I doubt the Fire Nation has any flying bison! Right, Appa?

APPA: (Growls)

AANG: Yip yip!

Shrouded in clouds and mist, the Southern Air Temple was on a snow-covered mountain stretching into the sky as tall as the surrounding peaks. After Appa landed at the base of the hill, Aang escorted Katara and Sokka up the long, winding trail to the temple grounds. But the sight awaiting them was eerie. The stone walls were covered in thick vines and overgrown plants, and no one came to greet them. It was almost as if the temple hadn't been inhabited for a long time. Aang was puzzled.

AANG: This place used to be full of monks and lemurs and bison. Now there's just a bunch of weeds. I can't believe how much things have changed.

Kicking absently at a cluster of vines, Sokka spotted something on the ground beside them. There was a tattered Fire Nation flag and two rusty Firebender helmets on the ground. It was just as Katara had feared—the Fire Nation had indeed been at the Southern Air Temple! Sokka insisted on telling Aang, but Katara hesitated, for she knew that doing so would cause her friend much grief, and she didn't like the idea at all.

As they walked on, the children came across a decaying wooden statue of a monk with a bald head and a long mustache. There was an arrow tattoo on the monk's head—just like Aang's. It was clear to Katara and Sokka that this monk was an airbender, too.

SOKKA: Who's that?

AANG: Monk Gyatso, the greatest airbender in the world. He taught me everything I know.

Bowing respectfully before Gyatso's statue, Aang found himself recollecting a memory with his former master from long ago.

AANG: (in Flashback) This whole Avatar thing—maybe the monks made a mistake.

GYATSO: (in Flashback) The only mistake they made was telling you before you turned sixteen, but we can't concern ourselves with what was. We must act on what is.

AANG: (in Flashback) But Gyatso, how do I know if I'm ready for this?

GYATSO: (in Flashback) Your questions will be answered when you're old enough to enter the air temple sanctuary. Inside, you will meet someone who will guide you on your journey.

AANG: (in Flashback) Who is it?

GYATSO: (in Flashback) When you are ready, he will reveal himself to you.

AANG: (in Flashback, Grunts in Acknowledgment)

As Aang's vision faded, Katara placed a hand on his shoulder sympathetically.