~ 23 ~

TW: Vivid nightmare and mentions of attempted suicide (brief description offered at the end of the chapter if you feel the need to skip due to these themes)

The day seemed to be unusually bright as Kenma was sitting in his old gaming room, the one that he had grown up in at his mothers house. It seemed a little suspicious, when did he leave to go to his mothers? He couldn't recall ever leaving for that long but the more he sat there the more real it felt. He shrugged it off as a lapse in memory before he returned his attention to the screen before him. The game he was playing must be ancient now, the graphics were certainly less than appealing as his blocky character sprinted around the screen.

Despite settling into an old routine, something felt off, something felt uneasy. Subconsciously he glanced at his phone, it was definitely an older model than what he was currently using - what on earth was going on? An unsettling sense of Deja vu washed over him, enough to pale his skin and put his hairs standing on edge. This all felt too familiar, this game, the nervousness he felt, the old room he sat in. Despite it feeling so familiar it wasn't comforting, he knew something was going to go wrong, he could sense something was horribly off.

His notifications showed he had some messages from Kuroo. That's odd, where is he? It felt strange, Kuroo was always there the last time they were apart was when he was in university. It felt like he was on the other side of the world. In reality it was simply a long train ride. Unlocking the phone Kenma began to read the messages carefully, he wanted to know why he suddenly felt so uneasy, what was going to happen? Why did he feel like he had lived this all before?

He was almost certain he wasn't acting out of the ordinary, yet the sense he was a character that had hit respawn one too many times loomed in the air. He knew this level, he had faced it before but he wasn't sure when or why. He couldn't remember what boss fight awaited him he just knew something big was incoming. The battle music in his head was about to be triggered but he kept reverting back to one question - why?

Big Cat: Morning Kitten, I don't need you to come over this weekend.

Big Cat: I've been feeling much better since you cleaned my dorm, look I even showered :D

*one image attached*

The image showed a younger version of Kuroo, his hair was damp as it clung to his face and framed his thin jawline. His frame seemed a little smaller than Kenma had gotten used to as his eyes looked duller than they had in years. Was this his current Kuroo? Kenma looked over the image carefully, he had the sense that he had seen it before, been in this exact situation before and instead wished he'd done something different. His mind raced as he tried to remember, he so desperately wanted to remember.

Big Cat: Anyway I don't want you travelling all the way to Sendai, it's such a trek and really I have been doing better, I promise.

Big Cat: I love you so much Kitten never forget that :D

Big Cat: I really mean it Kenma, I love you more than anything

*Big Cat is offline*

Kenma stared at his phone confused, Sendai... bells were beginning to ring in his head as he pieced together the information. Sendai was where Kuroo had gone to university, it was where he had lived for those few years of isolation. What piece was Kenma missing? He felt that this was a memory he wanted to revisit countless times since but had shut out for some reason - now he was in it - living it. So, why did he still feel so useless?

He blinked, the scenery changed to that of Kuroo's dorms. The building looked smart and sophisticated, it was an entrance Kenma had entered countless times across countless weekends. A place where he went so often during Kuroo's degree that the groundskeeper knew him by name.