Chapter 4

NOTE: The song text used in this chapter is from the song "When Love Takes Over" by David Guetta and Kelly Rowland.

King Endymion looked up and observed the ornaments on the huge, stone door before him. They represented the phases of the Moon. A symbol for the passing of the time, as well as life cycles.

"It's been quite a while since I've last been here," he said to himself. He brought his hand to his face, and removed the white mask which had become his trademark during all those centuries of reign. He couldn't quite remember why he started wearing it in the first place, perhaps to resemble his alias, Tuxedo Mask more. But with time, people got used to it, and almost expected him to wear it. It became a symbol of his status as king, almost like a crown.

"You may keep it on if you'd like, Endymion" the woman next to him spoke, and her voice was gentle and soothing. "Here, it doesn't really matter what you wear. There are no rules. What matters is that you feel well, as much as you can."

"No rules?" he turned to look at the blond-haired woman, "What about the three taboos?"

"They are merely... guidelines," the woman smiled. She wore a Senshi fuku, which was all in white and gold. "That is why this task is given to people who are believed to be able to judge when the taboos may, and when they may not be broken."

"I see," Endymion's gaze once again turned to the Time-Space Door. "And I would never be allowed to see Serenity again?"

"You can see her whenever you like," the woman waved her hand slowly, and on the clouds beneath her feet an image started to form. It showed Neo Queen Serenity in the Throne Room of the Crystal Palace, and she seemed to be crying. "You just need to wish it."

"That is not quite the same," he commented, his heart breaking at the sight of his wife sobbing in Lady Mars' arms.

"Perhaps chance will bring you together again, who knows?" the blonde smiled. "As I said, the taboos are really merely guidelines. Perhaps, sometimes... you could leave your post to see her again. It will be your decision. Your responsibility."

"What about Pluto?" he asked, suddenly realizing that the task that was about to be given to him actually belonged to Setsuna. "I thought she was to guard the Time-Space Door forever."

The blond woman laughed gently.

"Do not worry, Endymion. I have plans for Lady Pluto. For all of your guardians... well, there is one exception. Bu they shall also receive an important task. If they decide to accept it, that is."

"Serenity, too?" Endymion looked at her, kind of afraid that Serenity's destiny was of a sad kind.

"Her task shall be the most important of all," the woman replied, and the look in her eyes revealed wisdom and calmness. "It is a task of the most difficult kind. A great burden. But I know she is the only one able to fulfill this task."

The woman turned to look down at the image of Serenity beneath her feet.

"She still has some time left, though. Her heart needs time to heal first."

"It would have perhaps been easier had you allowed me to say goodbye to her properly," Endymion said, wishing he could hold Serenity in his arms and comfort her.

"Do you really believe it would reduce her pain?"

Endymion didn't reply, but he knew... The woman was right. Serenity has always been very emotional, and very attached to the people she loved. Nothing in the world could reduce the pain for her.

"Her pain is great," the woman commented. "But... It shall all get even more complex soon. It needs to. In order to solve itself. Puzzle pieces need to be mixed to be put together."