One

The older Steve got, the more he understood about life. Specifically, his own. Everything happened for a reason. Steve hadn't met Bucky in high school because neither of them had been the person they were currently in love with. They each had to figure out who they were before they could find each other. The contraception had to fail their first night together because Steve was too chickenshit to reciprocate any of Bucky's advances. Steve had to witness how good of an Uncle Bucky was in order to know how phenomenal of a father he'd be. His heart had to sneak Bucky in so his head could realize just how right Bucky was for him.

Steve was happy for that. Glad for it. More at peace with himself the more he learned about the universe.

But who knew that peace would be so loud.

"Papa, Finn keeps taking my play-dough!"

"Papa, Finn won't give me my car back!"

"Papa, Finn is messing up the mem-ry cards!"

"Papa –"

"Oliver, you have to learn how to share," Steve pinched the bridge of his nose, feeling a migraine coming on.

"But papa!" Oliver complained, gesturing back towards his younger brother.

Meanwhile the almost two year old was minding his own business, playing with the Big Bird plush that Oliver hadn't touched in about two years when his obsession switched from Sesame Street to Paw Patrol. The corner of Steve's lips ticked up as he watched Finn play. He didn't seem to be doing anything worth tattling over. Of course, Oliver was still upset about having to share a room with his brother now since they were using the smaller room for the – hopefully – soon-to-be new nursery.

Crouching, Steve made sure that he was at eye level with Oliver before asking, "Why don't you want to share with Finn? Sharing is caring, remember?"

With his little hands balled into fists at his sides, he said, "He gets slobber all over everything and makes it yucky!"

"Bub, he's teething," Steve explained, giving him a soft, understanding smile. "Besides, that's what a washer's for."

Not convinced, Oliver crossed his arms and huffed.

Leaning forward, Steve rubbed his nose along Oliver's before kissing his forehead. Wanting the four year old to smile, Steve blew a raspberry on his cheek. Relieved when Oliver's mood lifted, and he threw his arms around Steve's slender shoulders.

Indulging his oldest in a hug, Steve reminded him, "I love you."

"Love you," Oliver confirmed, pulling back and heading back into the living room so he could play.

Smiling to himself, Steve used the island counter to help him stand. Of course, it probably would've been easier if his arthritis hadn't been acting up. But this was the price to having a safe pregnancy. Especially since this was the first one they actually planned.

It might've just been Steve's wishful thinking, but he swore he was already starting to show. As he fixed his pants, he tenderly touched his lower abdomen before washing his hands and getting back to work with slicing carrots for their afternoon snack.

"Excuse me, sir," Bucky's sultry voice greeted from the back door. Giving his husband A Look, Steve continued slicing the carrots into easy-to-eat sticks. Not that that deterred Bucky in the slightest as he continued, "You haven't seen my husband around here, have you? He's – how do I put it – a God among men."