Pain

I don't know if I can do this

While Cat strolled around the hallways like he didn't have a care in the world, Elaina drowned in the painful realization that Cat really was as wealthy as the internet said, if not more so.

Elaina had expected the cameras that lined every hallway and canvassed every room, but she hadn't appreciated how many soldiers were in Cat's employ. A woman, with a stern voice, tried to relay instructions over their earpieces, but Elaina tricked all the brains on that floor into ignoring any signals from their auditory system. It was a simple fix that even resulted in a couple of guards having a mental breakdown.

Unfortunately, she didn't know where that commanding officer was barking her orders from. Not knowing where the woman was meant, she couldn't mess with her head like she could with the soldiers. Elaina knew without a doubt the owner of that intense voice was watching her every move over a video feed in some distant room.

She hoped the monotony of the corridors would make it difficult for the officer to determine exactly where Elaina was at any given moment, but when a door sealed shut just as they were about to enter, she knew she was being herded into a location of the officer's choosing.

To make matters worse, she also didn't anticipate the advanced technology that Cat's staff was equipped with. Those undeterred by the sudden lack of sound relied on readouts built into their armor. A small screen on their thick bracers conveyed a schematic of the underground tunnels with her location pinpointed by a tracking device that must have been embedded in her bracelets. Her paper shields kept his staff from knowing her vitals, and whatever else they might be doing to her, but she couldn't stop the signal from being transmitted from the manacles.

She needed to up her game.

Though the mass sensory suppression she commanded over the floor was already taxing her abilities, she tapped into her own frustration, allowing her creativity to fuel her next assault.

Conjuring up demons of varying size, shape, and color, she filled the halls with terrorizing beasts. She felt the strain of her curse pushing against her skin, sizzling the blood vessels just below the surface. Her lungs constricted and air struggled to return to her beleaguered system. Something warm and thick collected along her eyelids as colorful dots bubbled into view.

If I could manage Purr-seus, I can do this. I can. I know I can.

The screams of terror weren't enough. She needed them to feel her wrath. With a final push, she commanded her beastly creatures to spout fire while tricking the soldiers' brains into feeling the painful sting of flames. Of course, those hiding away behind the security monitors couldn't see the devilish imps that their troops did.

The commanding officer demanded a report as one soldier screamed a bloodcurdling cry and fired his weapon haphazardly around the corridor in a vain attempt to kill the figments of Elaina's imagination.