Touch

For two weeks, Dominic avoided his home

For two weeks, Dominic avoided his home. Instead, he often slept at Cramer Industries. His office there was merely a single room of an expansive penthouse on the top floor of their headquarters. He had a plush bed, fully stocked closet, and a few members of Tudor's staff on hand to take care of meals and cleaning. A home away from home, or in this case, a bunker to hide in, while two tumultuous ladies stayed at his estate.

At least with Mir, he desperately wanted to see her, but was too afraid of what he might find there. Resentment didn't linger within the tender pink scratches on his chest. The mental assault and the physical repercussions were part of his penance, as far as he was concerned. However, it wasn't enough. It would never be enough. And every time he looked at her, he'd picture the blade in her chest and the blood dripping from her throat. It may have been an illusion, but it branded his memories with as much clarity, if not more so, as real, physical traumas from his past.

He didn't know what to expect from Mir, but he promised her the ability to live life without fear of her gift. He would do everything in his power to grant that, even if it wouldn't be enough to redeem him.

Karina, on the other hand, was a completely different story. He avoided her like the plague because she was one. Toxic, all-consuming, and painful.

Unfortunately, he needed to discuss Mir's progress, and Walt could only relay so much between the two of them.

"Good morning, Ms. Sokolov."

"Ms. Sokolov? Why so formal?"

She sauntered into his office in a slinky white dress, the fabric sheer enough to hint at her underwear. Dominic, however, was simply grateful she was wearing something underneath it.

"Because, Ms. Sokolov, you are an employee and I am your employer. The way we address each other should reflect that relationship."

She stood at the chair poised before his desk as she considered his words. After a moment of thought, a devious smile curled up her cheek.

"Of course, Mr. Cramer," she replied in a seductive purr. She then sat down with her long legs crossed so that the slit in her dress exposed the length of her creamy thigh. "How may I serve you?"

He repressed his need to roll his eyes and instead interlaced his fingers upon his desktop, resting on his elbows as he leaned forward.

"I want to discuss Ms. Hart's progress."

"Considering how obstinate she is, I think I'm doing a stellar job."

Though pride rang in her voice, the coquettish curl to her words had evaporated. Dom took a deep breath as he released some of the tension in his stiff muscles.

"You have been." He leaned back and ran a hand through his hair. "Perhaps you're a bit brash, but I knew what I was bringing to the table with you, so I have no complaints. In fact, your forthright nature is what we need to combat her strong will. However, keep in mind we're not trying to break her, we're only trying to break down her walls. We need her to rely on self-control rather than a hard exterior."